NTLDR is missing

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ali
Level 1
Level 1

NTLDR is missing

Post by ali »

Hi to evryone
I use linux mint 17.3 and windows 7 in same machine and when I select windows 7 in the grub menu the following message appear ''NTLDR is missing press Alt+Ctrl+dlt to restart'' knowing to I deleted same files in linux when I have not paid attention.
Please some one have a solution to get my windows again with his softwares?
thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: NTLDR is missing

Post by motoryzen »

I apologize in case I'm asking a silly question in which most experienced dual booters would already know the answer to, but did you install Linux Mint into the same physical storage drive that Windows 7 was already installed into?

1. Are you able to a Linux Mint installation thumb drive's live environment and then view the partition info using something like gparted, disks, or terminal command options here

https://www.binarytides.com/linux-comma ... artitions/

That might give the dual booting experts here ( not me honestly) more insight for them to see exactly how this situation can and should be repaired without your risking your Linux Mint installation.

2. Are you still able to boot into Linux Mint 17.3? ( btw..that's far end of life as far as security updates support. Unless you're running very old hardware such as 2008 cpu and just as old graphics card, I recommend you switch to at least 19.3 after you've done appropriate data backups first)
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: NTLDR is missing

Post by rene »

If you have a bootable Windows 7 install or rescue CD handy it's fairly easily fixable. If not, it's not.

Return to “Installation & Boot”