Mint to an Acer Nitro 5 with windows 11

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Mint to an Acer Nitro 5 with windows 11

Post by WesternSlope »

I have an Acer Nitro 5 with Windows 11. I want to dual boot Linux Mint. There is a new way files are stored, I think it is, and was wondering if anyone has done it here. Acer always tries to keep you out.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint to an Acer Nitro 5 with windows 11

Post by SMG »

WesternSlope wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:20 pm I have an Acer Nitro 5 with Windows 11. I want to dual boot Linux Mint. There is a new way files are stored, I think it is, and was wondering if anyone has done it here. Acer always tries to keep you out. Thanks
Can you give us a bigger hint about what you mean by "Acer always tries to keep you out"? If you are referring to accessing the Secure Boot option, you do not need to disable Secure Boot to install Mint.

Based on feedback I received in this thread Acer Nitro 5 graphics drivers problems [SOLVED] you will want to use the Linux Mint 20.2 "Uma" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) ISO with the 5.11 kernel.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Check your Bios/UEFI. Was Win11 installed with RST and Optane enabled? If so, you may not be able to dual boot with LM unless Win11 is reinstalled without RST and Optane enabled.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

SMG wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:54 pm
WesternSlope wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:20 pm I have an Acer Nitro 5 with Windows 11. I want to dual boot Linux Mint. There is a new way files are stored, I think it is, and was wondering if anyone has done it here. Acer always tries to keep you out. Thanks
Can you give us a bigger hint about what you mean by "Acer always tries to keep you out"? If you are referring to accessing the Secure Boot option, you do not need to disable Secure Boot to install Mint.

Based on feedback I received in this thread Acer Nitro 5 graphics drivers problems [SOLVED] you will want to use the Linux Mint 20.2 "Uma" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) ISO with the 5.11 kernel.
I've downloaded the ISO and yes. The Secure Boot is enabled. I guess that was the problem of "hiding the files", as I put it. I'll disable it and see what happens. Do I re-enable when done?
Thanks all.
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

Larry78723 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:11 am Check your Bios/UEFI. Was Win11 installed with RST and Optane enabled? If so, you may not be able to dual boot with LM unless Win11 is reinstalled without RST and Optane enabled.
SMG wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:54 pm

Larry... "Check your Bios/UEFI. Was Win11 installed with RST and Optane enabled? If so, you may not be able to dual boot with LM unless Win11 is reinstalled without RST and Optane enabled."

I don't see any of this in the BIOS. I hope it makes sense this time.

I've downloaded the ISO and yes. The Secure Boot is enabled. I guess that was the problem of "hiding the files", as I put it. I'll disable it and see what happens. Do I re-enable when done?
Thanks all.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

WesternSlope wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:17 pmI've downloaded the ISO and yes. The Secure Boot is enabled. I guess that was the problem of "hiding the files", as I put it. I'll disable it and see what happens. Do I re-enable when done?
You should not need to disable Secure Boot.

However, it may be that you need to be booting with the 5.11 kernel for Mint to actually boot.
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

Thank you and will try it without disabling the Secure boot. Does win 11 make any difference?
Thanks
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

WesternSlope wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:52 pmDoes win 11 make any difference?
I have not yet seen any data on dual-booting with Win11, so I do not know. Maybe others will know.
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

Thank you!
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

It just hit on RST. A lot of you know the RST needs to be shut down. I didn't. In fact I've never heard of it and If I go on with the installation, can I restart it after the install?
Thanks
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

WesternSlope wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:14 pm It just hit on RST. A lot of you know the RST needs to be shut down. I didn't. In fact I've never heard of it and If I go on with the installation, can I restart it after the install?
Thanks
I do not know.
Larry mentioned earlier in the thread:
Larry78723 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:11 am Check your Bios/UEFI. Was Win11 installed with RST and Optane enabled? If so, you may not be able to dual boot with LM unless Win11 is reinstalled without RST and Optane enabled.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

I don't know about Optane but I am running an AMD ryzen dual booting 11 with Linux. I had to enable AMD fTPM but secure boot isn't necessary.
edit: Might I add that I saw win 11 rolling out so I reloaded 10 from a foxclone save to upgrade to 11. I will soon put 11 to rest on my external storage drive with foxclone next to 10. I like linux.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

It may be necessary to state how I did the upgrade. I run 3 drives, one is Linux, one is storage and one is Windows. I unplugged the linux drive just to make sure windows didn't mess with it. I booted to win10 and mounted the ISO image of win 11 and ran setup.exe to do the upgrade to win 11. From what I am seeing in win 11 I won't miss or use it. To me it appears they moved stuff around and did a different task bar is all and make more money.
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

Larry have you ever disabled RST and Optane? The running RST won't let me install Mint. Is it worth it?
Thanks
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

HaveaMint wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:37 pm It may be necessary to state how I did the upgrade. I run 3 drives, one is Linux, one is storage and one is Windows. I unplugged the linux drive just to make sure windows didn't mess with it. I booted to win10 and mounted the ISO image of win 11 and ran setup.exe to do the upgrade to win 11. From what I am seeing in win 11 I won't miss or use it. To me it appears they moved stuff around and did a different task bar is all and make more money.
HaveaMint is Foxclone like Rufus?
Thanks
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

WesternSlope wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:20 pm I have an Acer Nitro 5 with Windows 11. I want to dual boot Linux Mint. There is a new way files are stored, I think it is, and was wondering if anyone has done it here. Acer always tries to keep you out.
Thanks
All the above with one more question. If I were to hook an external drive to another laptop to install Mint then pull it out of the other laptop, move it to this system, and somehow point the boot to the external that has Mint?
Thanks
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

WesternSlope wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:47 pm
HaveaMint wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:37 pm It may be necessary to state how I did the upgrade. I run 3 drives, one is Linux, one is storage and one is Windows. I unplugged the linux drive just to make sure windows didn't mess with it. I booted to win10 and mounted the ISO image of win 11 and ran setup.exe to do the upgrade to win 11. From what I am seeing in win 11 I won't miss or use it. To me it appears they moved stuff around and did a different task bar is all and make more money.
HaveaMint is Foxclone like Rufus?
Thanks
http://www.foxclone.com/
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

Acer use the InsydeH20 bios and the default is RST\Optane.
LM will not install as you have found out, you have to enable sata mode to do it.
Go into your bios by holding down the F2 key and when in bios select the Main tab then hit Ctrl+S key and it will enable the hidden section to enable sata then look for the entry that say's sata then click on that and select AHCI.
Hit F10 to save and reboot. You will be right to go.
I have noticed in the latest acer laptops that sata cannot be enabled whatsoever, my brother bought a acer Swift 3X and I couldn't install win10 Pro because of it. it says there are drives connected.
Acer tech support are of no use as they keep saying their products don't support linux.
deejay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deejay »

To change from RST/Optane to Ahci you will have to do it in safe mode.
in msconfig32 select boot to safe mode first, then do the changes in bios, then again reboot to safe mode once. that will install the sata ahci drivers automatically.
once in safe mode upon reboot, run msconfig32 again and remove the safe boot option. this will then boot windows normally.

Return to “Installation & Boot”