Linux Mint 19 or 20 do not run in undervolt and under clock PC

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Argentrock
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 19 or 20 do not run in undervolt and under clock PC

Post by Argentrock »

Hi, every one

it's been a long time since I need help with Linux; the issue its because my pc has and old AMD processor, instead to overclocking I have to under clocking by BIOS to avoid overheat, but unfortunate when I did the under clock and the under volt ( in my case I have to do it for running ) the Linux begun to reinitialized over and over, until the system froze; so I came with the idea to re install Linux from zero, but neither 19 version or 20 version adjust fine with the under settings that I achieved in the BIOS; because I need some MS programs with my work I have Win 10 in other HDD and the system receive the under settings and work( sorry for that but in Linux the programs do not work a I needed).
But If I redo the clock to the normal states Linux begun to work
Please, if anyone have a clue to solve this issue I'm very glad to hear about it; attached my system ionfo an the version that is running well

System: Host: AMD-FX8 Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.8 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: ASRock model: 970A-G/3.1 serial: N/A
UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: P1.20 date: 01/12/2016
CPU: 8 core AMD FX-9590 Eight-Core (-MCP-)
arch: Bulldozer rev.0 cache: 16384 KB

flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 75204
clock speeds: max: 4700 MHz 1: 2802 MHz 2: 2901 MHz 3: 3399 MHz
4: 3400 MHz 5: 2440 MHz 6: 2400 MHz 7: 2399 MHz 8: 2399 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Pitcairn XT [Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition]
bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD PITCAIRN (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-20-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5 Direct Render: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7700/7800 Series]
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Card-3 Chicony driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 001-002
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-20-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 06:00.0
IF: enp6s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2000.4GB (0.5% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: TOSHIBA_DT01ACA1 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 916G used: 8.7G (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 42.9C mobo: N/A gpu: 38.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 216 Uptime: 20 min Memory: 1671.1/16010.9MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Linux Mint 19 or 20 do not run in undervolt and under clock PC

Post by spamegg »

Overclocking and underclocking can cause instability and boot issues even on Windows. I don't think there is a general solution for that. It's up to luck.

Why is your CPU overheating on default clock speed and voltage? That shouldn't be happening normally. Maybe you need a better cooler and change the thermal paste? And get better air circulation in your case?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If the dust has gathered in your case, blow it away.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Fiddling with clock speeds, voltages, etc, can sometimes make everything work harder for longer to finish the same task. Go back to factory settings and work on the fan, cooler, thermal paste etc.

The info list does not show a fan speed. You might have the tiny factory fan. I usually start with a big Noctua cooler from day one as they reduce the heat stress on the CPU and make almost no noise. I have never had thermal paste heat up to the point of decaying. The fans connect to the motherboard CPU fan socket and the speed is reported back to the OS. The motherboard can ramp up the fan the instant the CPU starts to heat up.
Argentrock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Argentrock »

spamegg wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:28 am Overclocking and underclocking can cause instability and boot issues even on Windows. I don't think there is a general solution for that. It's up to luck.

Why is your CPU overheating on default clock speed and voltage? That shouldn't be happening normally. Maybe you need a better cooler and change the thermal paste? And get better air circulation in your case?
I Already install a water cooling system, but the AMD is an FX 9590, they work up to 125 watts so under normal conditions it heat a lot but with the under volt and under clock I avoid that, and can properly work with new software; I could manage in Win10 the stability an make it work.

In Linux mint cinnamon I found that it seems that the system take the firmware of the processor and the board and make them work to full charge, without regarding the bios configuration, with that the OS begin a conflict between it own way of work and the bios and so the spiral of re booting begins.

Answer all the other comments I already clean up the dust 8) ; changing thermal paste, and besides the Enermax 120 mm radiator I have 4 Iceberg fans connected and an open case to allow good flow or cool air

Unfortunately at this moment i do not have the money to change to a more efficient board and processor plus new rRAM
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

It's still too hot with a water cooler on default speed and voltage? That's just strange. What is your idle CPU temperature (with normal voltage)?

Maybe the cooler has an issue, or is not making good contact with the heat spreader of the CPU, or does not have enough mounting pressure.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

CPU voltage is normally handled by the motherboard.
If you have no overclocks it should run fine with the default VID.

If the motherboard supports overclocking, you can reduce the voltage by 5mV or at a time, but I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.
Overclocking/Underclocking is not for the feint of heart.

Overclocking should be done by those who know the risks and with the current on going silicon shortage do you want to risk destroying the CPU?

I risked damaging my CPU if I kept this OC.
It ran 95°C under full load which is too hot for my water cooling loop and it has way too much voltage 1.46v, but that 5Ghz(all core) on the i5 6600k.
5Ghz.png
5Ghz.png (42.07 KiB) Viewed 930 times
spamegg wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:28 am Overclocking and underclocking can cause instability and boot issues even on Windows. I don't think there is a general solution for that. It's up to luck.

I agree with this.

A service of the PC will bring it back to life.
Dust can quickly clog heatsinks, heck even a thin layer of dust can impact performance as dust impeads cooling and acts more like an insulator.

Argentrock wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:59 pm I Already install a water cooling system, but the AMD is an FX 9590, they work up to 125 watts so under normal conditions it heat a lot but with the under volt and under clock I avoid that, and can properly work with new software; I could manage in Win10 the stability an make it work.
Quick Question.

Did you remove the protective label from the heatblock?
People do forget to pull the stickers off.

Also where is the radiator located?
Is it below the pump or above the pump?
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Another topic suggested CPU Power GUI, you can play around with it, but no guarantees. It lets you set limits for clock speed. I don't know if it works with every CPU/motherboard. sudo apt install cpupower-gui Proceed at your own risk.
cpupowergui.png
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

What I would try is NOT USE CINNAMON. Cinnamon is a real resource pig, and your underclocked machine just might work with a less hoggish GUI. Note the "might". Try it with MATE or Xfce. If that doesn't work, try it with a low-resource distribution other than Mint, and see if that will run. Linux tends to be intolerant of hardware that is marginal, so keep that in mind. Good luck.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

I'm curious do you even have a fan physical blowing on your your vrms ( voltage regulator modules) ?

Yes that 9590 from around 9 years ago IS...a space heater even compared to the 8350 it is basically a version of .( just specially binned btw), ..but it's the vrms near it that can influence instability if they get hot enough.

99% of the time.. aio liquid cpu coolers DO NOT...include ways to cool the vrms. Downward firing cpu coolers often will do a better job at keeping a system stable even if cpu temps are higher versus your more hardcore air ( discontinued cryorig r1 ultimate...or noctua nh d14 and d15 units) OR liquid cooling solutions ...Even some custom water loop systems don't. If this isn't included in yours, put a decent 120mm or 140mm fan targeting those VRMs to the left of the cpu socket + factory defaults, then see if you can tune those fan speeds in bios.

As ..well silly as this may sound...have you tried putting a fan somehow blowing on the BACK of your motherboard? Particular the cpu socket area and the vrms area just to the ( now right of the cpu)..just to test the same use-case scenarios to see if stability is back?....

== Other than this and what others have already mentioned, I apologize and am out of ideas. ==
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor

Return to “Installation & Boot”