Dual boot with external SSD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Dual boot with external SSD

Post by WesternSlope »

If I were to hook an external SSD drive to another laptop to install Mint then pull it out of the other laptop, move it to this system, and somehow point the boot to the external that has Mint?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Dual boot with external SSD

Post by rambo919 »

It can work, but it all depends on the machine you are booting from.

And you will always bottleneck the SSD by your USB connection.
Telyx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Telyx »

I did that with my old work computer--installed Mint 20.1 MATE to an external SSD, making sure to install grub to that SSD too. I changed the BIOS boot order so the computer would look first to USB, then to the HDD. It worked pretty well--if I had the SSD plugged in, the computer booted to Mint, and if I didn't have it plugged in it booted Windows 7. (At least it was USB 3.0, so the bottleneck wasn't as bad as it could have been.)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Legacy or UEFI boot? With UEFI boot there is a bug in the installer when installing to a second drive, it won't put grub where you tell it. Relatively straightforward to fix.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:28 pm Legacy or UEFI boot? With UEFI boot there is a bug in the installer when installing to a second drive, it won't put grub where you tell it. Relatively straightforward to fix.
I was dreading the Intel Optane and RTS, but I think I have it figured out. I'll put the SSD on the inside and then install Mint.
Thanks all
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

WesternSlope wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:13 pm I was dreading the Intel Optane and RTS, but I think I have it figured out. I'll put the SSD on the inside and then install Mint.
Thanks all
If you have UEFI boot you will end up with grub on the main system drive unless you do something about it. Then your external SSD will not boot independently. Doesn't matter whether you connect the SSD internally or externally.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Installation & Boot”