Mint 20.1 Cinnamon will not boot with full-disk encryption: "vgmint-root does not exist"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
apple00cattle
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 20.1 Cinnamon will not boot with full-disk encryption: "vgmint-root does not exist"

Post by apple00cattle »

Basic issue: Mint will not boot. Issues with disk decryption prompt started after update to kernel Linux 5.4.0-84-generic. For a while, I was able to boot successfully, using an older kernel. After update to Linux 5.4.0-88-generic, I can no longer boot with any kernel.

I believe this is the relevant error message, but I lack experience with Linux to know for sure:

ALERT! /dev/mapper/vgmint-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

System info:
  • Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
  • LVM full-disk encryption
  • GNU GRUB version 2.04
  • I think Timeshift was configured, with multiple backup intervals available
  • I have a bootable USB key with Mint 20.1 ready, if I need it
  • I know the correct disk decryption key, and Mint user login password
Various kernels: (Advanced boot screen pictured below)
  • Linux 5.4.0-88-generic
  • *-86-generic
  • *-84-generic
  • *-81-generic - last known functional
  • *-80-generic
  • *-58-generic

Note: I'm a novice at Linux troubleshooting. I know some basic command line syntax from using DOS and Windows for decades. But all I really know is "sudo apt update && apt upgrade", and how to copy-paste commands. Otherwise, I'm a bit lost. For example, I barely know what "initramfs" is.

Goal: Hopefully to recover to a usable/bootable state--as it was either before the *-88 kernel update where it's entirely unbootable; or before *-84, when things initially started going wrong.

If that's not possible, I'd hope to be able to recover files from the home folder. I have some backed up, and probably nothing critical, but I'd still prefer to not lose it.

After that, I don't mind wiping the SSD and starting over again.

Thank you for any help.

Problems initially started maybe a month or two ago, probably after a firmware and/or kernel update--I think to "Linux 5.4.0-84 generic". I use LVM full-disk encryption (I think) on an NVMe SSD. The only OS installed is Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 64-bit.

After the problems started, I was still able to boot successfully with the advanced boot option, using kernel *-81. Didn't notice any issues during typical use after a successful boot.

Update to kernel *-86 did not fix the problem. After the most recent update to *-88, I'm not able to boot with any available kernel version.

During a functional boot, when I reach the disk decryption screen, there's a text prompt below the Linux Mint logo, above the text entry box. (Something like "Please unlock disk nvme_crypt".) Since the problems started, there is no text prompt between the logo and text box. (Pictured below)

I enter the correct decryption key, and the screen hangs longer than usual. (I know the key is correct. If I enter an incorrect key, the text box reappears.)

Eventually, it reaches a command-line prompt. I enter "exit" at the prompt, and this is what displays on the screen (code and picture below):

Code: Select all

[    1.791249] pmouse serio1: synaptics: Unable to query device: -5

BusyBox v1.30.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.30.1-4ubuntu6.3) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) exit
Gave up waiting for root file system device.  Common problems:
 - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
   - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
 - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; is /dev)
ALERT!  /dev/mapper/vgmint-root does not exist.  Dropping to a shell!

I tried once to boot using a "(recovery mode)" kernel (I think *-81), and it ultimately gave a similar error message (code and picture below):

Scanning for Btrfs filesystems
Begin: Waiting for suspend/resume device ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done.
done.
Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device
done.
Begin: Waiting for root file system ... Begin: Running /scriptslocal-block ... done.
done.
Gave up waiting for root file system device.  Common problems:
 - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
   - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
 - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; is /dev)
ALERT!  /dev/mapper/vgmint-root does not exist.  Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.30.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.30.1-4ubuntu6.3) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) _ [prompt]

It's not pictured here, but among the text above this, there's this line, again suggesting the decryption key is correct:

Begin: Mounting root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ... Please unlock disk nvme*********_crypt:
cryptsetup: nvme******_crypt: set up successfully
done.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint 20.1 Cinnamon will not boot with full-disk encryption: "vgmint-root does not exist"

Post by SMG »

apple00cattle wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:29 pmI'd hope to be able to recover files from the home folder.
Welcome to the forum, apple00cattle.

Use the install usb to boot to a live session of Mint. You should be able to get your files from the hard drive with the info here How to mount and de-encrypt a LUKS encrypted partition to recover files [closed]. Get those backed up and then we'll see if we can get into your system.

My guess is the filesystem somehow got corrupted. At least that seems to have been the case with others who have run into similar issues. Your message is not exactly the same, but the fact things got progressively worse to the point no kernel would boot seems to indicate a system corruption.

You have indicated you believe you have Timeshift snapshots. You can use Timeshift on the live session to restore using snapshots on the hard drive. I'm not sure exactly how that works with regards to you having the disk encrypted, but I would think the program would prompt you for the password at some point to access the files on the drive.

I'm not familiar with the /dev/mapper/vgmint-root does not exist. error, but I did find this old thread Missing root VG, dropped to an initramfs shell which sounds like a similar situation. Keep in mind that grub has changed since then so I am not sure if the exact same steps would help with this version of Mint.

Let us know if you have any questions as you step through the process of recovering your files, doing a Timeshift restore, and then venturing to fix the install.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
eef4de
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 20.1 Cinnamon will not boot with full-disk encryption: "vgmint-root does not exist"

Post by eef4de »

The same problem happened to me a few hours ago. Here's what I did:
  • Press F2 to access BIOS
  • Go to INFORMATION>MAIN
  • Press CTRL+S
  • Go to SATA Mode
  • Change it to AHCI
  • Press F10 so save or go to Exit and save the changes
Worked perfectly for me.

SIDENOTE: I got this issue because I made an external WindowsToGo bootable drive. BIOS probably changed because my external OS needs a different setting. So, I don't know if this will work for you.

Return to “Installation & Boot”