How to not install grub in Uma updates??

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

How to not install grub in Uma updates??

Post by este.el.paz »

Folks:

I've moved in and out of LM over the years, but lately Uma has been running quite well on my '12 cMP . . . . I have a multi-boot situation running and the best handler for grub has been OpenSUSE . . . I've had to clean grub out of most of other systems, I have two ubuntu based installs, LM Uma and Lu 21.10??? each time they upgraded grub it would wipe everybody else off the menu, so I locked grub, but then removed it from all of the 8 or so linux installs . . . .

However, now when I try to run apt or use the GUI package updater both ways insist on re-installing grub . . . which right now I don't have time to mess with re-ordering the master grub menu for just one system . . . . Any way to get apt to run an update without re-installing grub??

If it's not installed now, can I try to "lock" it so that apt won't try to install it???

Otherwise have to say that Uma is overall very zippy install, I'd like to keep it bouncing, but I don't want it to mess with . . . the Grubster.

[edit: So I tried my suggestion to "lock" the numerous grub & grub2 packages in Synaptic and that hasn't seemed to block apt or the package updater from trying to re-install grub . . . .]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MacPro '12 multiboot various linux OSs with some aging OSX's . . . .
brown7
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to not install grub in Uma updates??

Post by brown7 »

After running Update Manager, a debconf window (titled "Configuring grub-pc"), popped up, requiring me to select the appropriate grub install devices for my system. I've made no changes to grub or the filesystem recently, and I don't remember what options I selected last time I did make a change.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

brown7 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:43 pm After running Update Manager, a debconf window (titled "Configuring grub-pc"), popped up, requiring me to select the appropriate grub install devices for my system. I've made no changes to grub or the filesystem recently, and I don't remember what options I selected last time I did make a change.
@brown7:

Thanks for posting into this very hot topic . . . if you are only running one linux install it shouldn't be too critical, because generally ubuntu based systems select themselves to be booted by grub. You could always check through synaptic package manager to see which "grub2" packages you have installed and whether an update is available.

But, from what I've managed to find out on my own on this burning topic, it doesn't seem like LM let's grub be removed from it's iron grip on the system . . . .
stupidnamerequ1red
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stupidnamerequ1red »

I don't know, because you didn't say. But if you boot through UEFI. You should find that rEFInd gives you exactly what you need -- a boot menu with the option to boot whatever you already have on your system. It's Grub tolerant. Meaning; grub can do whatever it thinks it needs to. But that won't interfere with your ability to install/boot whatever you want, whenever you want. :-) It also works with efibootmgr.

HTH

--Chris
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

I personally am booting UEFI, and indeed "back in the day" many moons ago, linux didn't offer "EFI boot" as an option so rEFInd was required to boot an EFI system. But, that changed 5 or 10 years back when the EFI boot directory was added into the live iso, and simulataneously installing rEFInd became more rigorous . . . but not providing a necessary function. Grub can now be directly installed into an EFI partition, and "boom, Bob's yr uncle" . . . you're booted up in your choice of distro, asap.

The OP's question about removing grub from an LM install . . . seemingly remains unaddressed . . . . :?: :shock: :roll:
Jo-con-Ël
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

este.el.paz wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:42 pm The OP's question about removing grub from an LM install . . . seemingly remains unaddressed . . . . :?: :shock: :roll:
You are right. In Synaptic Package Manager search for grub, filter installed (click on S column), select all packages> right click Mark for complete remove.

Removing grub-efi, grub-common.., will install another grub packages by default (grub-pc,...) depending on your system, edition,... That would be the reason why you were asked about to change grub config. file on uninstalling.
Captura de pantalla de 2021-10-28 07-43-29.png
You will need to purge those "new" packages after removing first ones.

Just in case,
-blacklist grub (grub2) in Update Manager>Edit>Preferences>Blacklist for those systems.

-If UEFI installations, also comment EFI line in /etc/fstab (sudoedit /etc/fstab, write # at the beginning of that line, Ctrl+o and Enter to save and Ctrl+x to close editor).
este.el.paz wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:23 pm I tried my suggestion to "lock" the numerous grub & grub2 packages in Synaptic and that hasn't seemed to block apt or the package updater from trying to re-install grub . . . .
No need to hold packages that are not installed... Are you sure you have removed completely (including configuration files) all grub package (i.e all package as "un" in dpkg -l grub*).

Code: Select all

dpkg -l grub*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
un  grub           <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  grub-efi-amd64 <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  grub-efi-ia32  <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  grub-pc        <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  grub2          <none>       <none>       (no description available)
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

@Jo-con-El:

Thanks for the details to go over . . . I am now some distance from that computer, so it will be a week or so before I can check out your suggestions. I did completely remove the grub packages . . . but didn't go into fstab and fiddle with anything there . . . .

When I get back to that machine I'll check thru it and post back on it . . . when I've tried a few tings out . . . . It'll be awhile, but I will get back to the thread on it.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

Jo-con-Ël wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:18 am

Just in case,
-blacklist grub (grub2) in Update Manager>Edit>Preferences>Blacklist for those systems.

-If UEFI installations, also comment EFI line in /etc/fstab (sudoedit /etc/fstab, write # at the beginning of that line, Ctrl+o and Enter to save and Ctrl+x to close editor).
@Jo-con-El:

Thanks for the details, possibly that has gotten the job done . . . I ran that "dpkg" command and it showed "grub-pc" as "rc"??? while all the rest were "none" . . . but when I ran "remove grub-pc" . . . "already removed" . . . .

So I blacklisted "grub (grub2)" and then ran the "sudoedit" and running apt dist-upgrade . . . no grub!!! So, I'll have to reboot and then see if the master grub still shows LM . . . since # the /boot/efi line is a new move for me . . . .

But, thanks for the assist on it . . . I like having system options, but I don't spend a lot of time under the hood with any particular one of them . . . . :shock: :? :idea:

[edit:] Might have spoken too soon, looking at the console still running the dist-upgrade it showed something like "sourcing grub2 file" . . . "setting up grub2" . . . which there was nothing in the list of upgrades showing "grub" . . . but, apparently it did it . . .???? Prolly will have to spend time to get back to my other distros . . . O well . . . . :roll: :roll: :roll:
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SimonPeter »

este.el.paz wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:23 pm ..........
Proud owner of a multiboot system here:

Debian 11 KDE + LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) 4 + MX Linux XFCE + Fedora KDE spin + Windows 10 + Android x86 + many Arch Linuxes ... and expanding... on main system.
MX Linux XFCE + Windows 7 + Linux Mint 20.2 XFCE + Peppermint ... on another system.
Only Linux Mint 20.2 XFCE on yet another

I use none of these as the "multiboot handler" in my main system (Linux Mint takes that role on the second one).

In my main system, I do the following:
- Install everything without GRUB (sudo ubiquity -b on Ubuntu-based systems)
- Standalone GRUB in the EFI partition (works in both UEFI and Legacy mode):
1) sudo mkdir $ESP/boot ; sudo grub-install --target=i386-pc --boot-directory=$ESP/boot /dev/sdX -- So that it works in Legacy mode.
2) Mount the ISO file linuxmint-20.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso (using GNOME Disks / $ sudo mount -o loop ...)
3) Delete $ESP/boot and $ESP/EFI (except $ESP/EFI/Microsoft if you use Windows) -- This will remove all bootloaders currently on the ESP.
4) Copy the folders "EFI" and "boot" from the ISO to your $ESP/EFI and $ESP/boot respectively.
5) Edit $ESP/boot/grub/grub.cfg to configfile the grub.cfg from any Linux automatically (or have multiple menuentries to configfile grub.cfg's from many Linuxes automatically.)

NOTE: $ESP denotes the mountpoint where the EFI System Partition (ESP) is mounted. It is normally mounted on /boot/efi .
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

@SimonPeter:

Thanks for the data . . . doesn't seem like a whole lot of folks are running "multiboot" set ups . . . . I might, **might** be "OK" or dodged the bullet on this one with the LM update seemingly adding "grub" at the last few minutes of the initramfs process, even though it showed that it was installing grub, seems like it is still my TW install that is handling the GUI "grub menu" . . . which is what I want.

In the last year or so it seemed like "ubuntu" was assuming control of grub and then, it would only select itself as the sole system to boot, etc. Happened enough times to officially be a PITA . . . . But, perhaps it just "updated" without monopolizing the grub listings . . . .

In a bit I'll try a reboot to se if LM is still there, or if it is the one who got lost . . . .
Jo-con-Ël
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

este.el.paz wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:07 pm when I ran "remove grub-pc" . . . "already removed" . . . .
You need to run apt remove --purge grub-pc or from Synaptic Package manager filter by Status>Not Installed (Residual confg.) and completely remove if present

Also umount EFI partition as indicated and do not run apt upgrade or dist-upgrade from terminal, just install updates from Update Manager.
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

Jo-con-Ël wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:35 pm
SimonPeter wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:11 pm when I ran "remove grub-pc" . . . "already removed" . . . .
You need to run apt remove --purge grub-pc. umonut EFI partition as indicated and do no run apt upgrade or dist-upgrade from terminal just install updates from Update manager.
@Jo-con_El:

Ah . . . OK, yes, didn't run "purge" command . . . and, previously I was just using the Update Manager, and unchecking the "grub" items and that worked until recently . . . possibly with a kernel that was waiting to be upgraded, and then even unchecking the grub items, grub would still show up in the "things to be installed drop down menu" . . . . When I get back to LM I'll be happy to just use the GUI Updater . . . .

Thanks again.
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SimonPeter »

You could not have installed GRUB while installing Linux Mint.

This is done with sudo ubiquity -b in a Live system (on Ubuntu-based Linux distros).

This command launches the system installer ie. Ubiquity asking it NOT to install the bootloader (GRUB).
Jo-con-Ël
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

SimonPeter you are right, but OP has already installed and want to completely remove GRUB and avoid receiving updates for that packages on all systems but the one directing boot (OpenSuse).
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

Jo-con-Ël wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:03 pm SimonPeter you are right, but OP has already installed and want to completely remove GRUB and avoid receiving updates for that packages on all systems but the one directing boot (OpenSuse).
SimonPeter wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:57 pm You could not have installed GRUB while installing Linux Mint.

This is done with sudo ubiquity -b in a Live system (on Ubuntu-based Linux distros).

This command launches the system installer ie. Ubiquity asking it NOT to install the bootloader (GRUB).
@SimonPeter:

Indeed as @Jo-con-El mentions, LM install was run before I learned that I didn't have to install bootloader in each distro that I installed, ran the LM install last year or before and then changed sources.list to "uma"??? for the latest iteration.

It didn't used to be this "bad" as I mostly had a linux partition on a small HDD next to an OSX partition . . . . But now I'm running a cMP desktop with four internal drives all sliced and diced into numerous partitions with several OSx flavors and now maybe 8 linux distros . . . and then the linux distros started "fighting" for master control of grub . . . . I just need to get back over to LM and purge the last remnants of the grub-pc implements.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

este.el.paz wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:26 pm I just need to get back over to LM and purge the last remnants of the grub-pc implements.
From terminal you can also use just apt purge grub-pc and try another codes you can find in dedicated threads elsewhere to be sure

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get  purge grub-pc
sudo dpkg --purge grub-pc
Also as I said in my edited post( maybe you didn't read) you can do it from Synaptic Package Manager filtering by Status on the left and on the upper side Not Installed (Residual config). Select all package listed on the right and right click to Mark for completely remove and apply.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

@Jo-con-El:

Thanks for that clarification, I didn't get a notification on the edit . . . . But, yep, I do like synaptic at some moments of decision making . . . it'll be a couple of days before I get back to LM in the rotation . . . .

I'll post back on any further gory details . . . so far whatever I've done in LM to destroy grub hasn't bled over into the master grub, which is a time saver. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”