Mint won't boot after todays kernel update

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brobertson
Level 1
Level 1

Mint won't boot after todays kernel update

Post by Brobertson »

Hello,
Been running mint successfully, updates all okay until today's update, seems to loop on the green mint logo with green rotation color, waited, but no go. Finally booted back in from USB, and restored with time shift to yesterday's backup and it booted back in okay. What should I do at this point, turn off updates, etc? Running older Sabertooth 990fx v2 motherboard. Thanks.

Barry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint won't boot after todays kernel update

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Brobertson.

Please, start by providing your Linux Mint system information so that we have an idea which Mint release and which kernel release series we are talking about.
How to post your Linux Mint System Information (inxi report)

Regards.
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Brobertson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brobertson »

Thanks Karl, getting a little late for me to get this to you, will do tomorrow and see what is going on. I will say that I am really impressed with Mint, had tried to get Ubuntu to run on this older machine, but never could get it right, gave up and went to Mint and it is the best Linux I have had so far, know much hard work went into it.
Brobertson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brobertson »

Brobertson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brobertson »

Installed it this morning and it worked.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Brobertson.

One of the inexplicable riddles. I had not spotted anything in your system information (inxi output), which would explain, why your machine might run on kernel 5.4.0-88, but not on 5.4.0-89.
The most likely explanation is that some error happened during the first installation of kernel 5.4.0-89.

Good luck,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Installation & Boot”