Unable to install GRUB on iMac (2012)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mcleaver
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to install GRUB on iMac (2012)

Post by mcleaver »

Hi there.

Installing Mint 20.2 from a USB stick on a clean iMac with 512 GB SSD seemed to go wonderfully and very rapidly. It booted to the USB, and installing Mint was rapid and apparently successful - right up to the end, when it stopped with:
  • "Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda
    Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed'
    This is a fatal error.

I have since tried everything suggested (on the Telegram channel) but no luck.
Is it something to do with the iMac bios (of it has one) or a known issue? Can I manually install GRUB?
Regards
Martin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mcleaver
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to install GRUB on iMac (2012)

Post by mcleaver »

The installer seems to be moody. Yesterday I couldn't quite finish the etch with etcher. And then the installation stranded at the end without GRUB. Today both worked, but Mint did crash when I tried to start Firefox. I think it might have something to do with updates (NVidia?)
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

cleaver wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:18 am The installer seems to be moody. Yesterday I couldn't quite finish the etch with etcher. And then the installation stranded at the end without GRUB. Today both worked, but Mint did crash when I tried to start Firefox. I think it might have something to do with updates (NVidia?)
Hi cleaver and welcome to the forum.

As you seem to be able to boot into Mint, to be in a position to help you we need to know the details of your computer.

The easiest way to do this is for you to open your Terminal and paste

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxpmrz
into it and then hit Enter/Return.

Go to Edit, Select All, and then Copy, come back here, click on the code tags, </>, and then paste, Ctrl V.

With that, someone may be able to help.

HTH.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Are you positive that your Mint installer made an EFI partition at the beginning of your hard drive? I'm assuming you have installed EFI with a GUID partition table, because Macs really don't work with MBR. That first partition should be roughly 200-500mb and be formatted FAT and be labeled 'EFI'. It is your /boot/efi partition, will be sda1, and is what GRUB is looking for. You can check by booting with your usb Live and opening the Disks app.

Edit: Since you seem to have the GRUB problem worked out, I'm actually surprised that Mint 20 even works with that old machine. And, a note on MBR and Macs. Those old Macs, the intel ones, had an emulated MBR mode, not a 'real' MBR. This was done because of Windows dual-boot and Windows lacked an EFI mode. That emulated MBR causes problems with Linux installs and leads to instabilities and crashes if Linux is installed any way but EFI.

Return to “Installation & Boot”