Installed Linux Mint on separate hard drive - cannot boot to Windows 10

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GavinRG21
Level 1
Level 1

Installed Linux Mint on separate hard drive - cannot boot to Windows 10

Post by GavinRG21 »

Hello,

I recently installed Linux Mint on a separate spare hard disk drive on my computer. However, when I go into the BIOS, and boot into the solid state drive I normally use for Windows 10, it won't work. It just boots me into Linux Mint. Any help on booting back into Windows 10?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Installed Linux Mint on separate hard drive - cannot boot to Windows 10

Post by AndyMH »

Legacy or UEFI boot?

Best guess, you have installed in legacy mode, didn't pay attention on where the installer was putting the bootloader, grub, and it has overwritten the windows bootloader on your win drive.

If you open a terminal and run sudo update-grub it might find windows. Next time you boot you should get a grub menu giving you the choice of mint or win.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
GavinRG21
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GavinRG21 »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:04 am Legacy or UEFI boot?

Best guess, you have installed in legacy mode, didn't pay attention on where the installer was putting the bootloader, grub, and it has overwritten the windows bootloader on your win drive.

If you open a terminal and run sudo update-grub it might find windows. Next time you boot you should get a grub menu giving you the choice of mint or win.
I did "sudo update-grub", and it found a windows recovery environment. That's all it says windows-related.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

In mint, run efibootmgr:

Code: Select all

andy@T432 ~ $ efibootmgr
EFI variables are not supported on this system.
This is legacy boot, anything else is UEFI boot.

And check in windows:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/851 ... -bios.html

Also post the output from sudo parted --list, this will tell use how your drives are partitioned. Post the output between code markers (the </> button above the reply window - makes it easier to read, like efibootmgr above).

Report back.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Installation & Boot”