[SOLVED]My USB Drive Won't Boot Linux Mint In Regular Mode.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Osiris3
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]My USB Drive Won't Boot Linux Mint In Regular Mode.

Post by Osiris3 »

So, I'm coming from Windows 11 and trying to install Linux Mint 20.2 64bit Cinnamon.I did all the things.I checked and verified the ISO I downloaded.I used Etcher to flash a Kingston Data Traveler USB drive.I can boot into compatibility mode, although for some reason my mouse moves too fast.I tried turning the sensitivity down, but it did nothing.My main issue though is trying to boot into regular mode.I see this:

...and then this:

...and it just stays like that.
I have an HP Pavillion Gaming Laptop 15 with and AMD Ryzen 4800H, a 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GB of RAM, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 ti.Can anyone shed some light on this?Is there anything I can do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: My USB Drive Won't Boot Linux Mint In Regular Mode.

Post by SMG »

Osiris3 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:46 amI have an HP Pavillion Gaming Laptop 15 with and AMD Ryzen 4800H, a 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GB of RAM, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 ti.Can anyone shed some light on this?Is there anything I can do?
Are you using the Linux Mint 20.2 "Uma" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) ISO? It has the 5.11 kernel which your cpu needs in order to get the AMD graphics drivers to install.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Osiris3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Osiris3 »

I'm not sure.Looking at this, I don't think so.I just went to the download page for Cinnamon.I didn't see "edge" anywhere, but this does appear to be a bigger file size than the ISO I downloaded. 🤔
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Osiris3 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:25 pmLooking at this, I don't think so.I just went to the download page for Cinnamon.I didn't see "edge" anywhere, but this does appear to be a bigger file size than the ISO I downloaded. 🤔
The Edge ISO is under Download > All Versions.
Osiris3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Osiris3 »

😃Alright!It worked!Now how do I get my mouse to slow down and move at a normal speed?I forgot to mention before that when I booted into compatibility mode my touchpad didn't work.Now that's working, and at a normal speed, but my mouse...I barely move it and it zips across the screen.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Osiris3 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:30 pm but my mouse...I barely move it and it zips across the screen.
Open the Mouse and Touchpad app. On the Mouse tab under 'Pointer size and speed' are options for acceleration and sensitivity.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Also, please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title so others know your original issue is resolved.
Osiris3
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED]My USB Drive Won't Boot Linux Mint In Regular Mode.

Post by Osiris3 »

I already turned the sensitivity all the way down.It did nothing.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Osiris3 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:48 pm I already turned the sensitivity all the way down.It did nothing.
Please make a new topic since that is a new question. Make sure to provide the information requested in Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help! in your first post and let others know you have already tried turning the sensitivity all the way down in the Mouse and Touchpad app (and anything else you may have tried).
Osiris3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Osiris3 »

Nevermind.I fixed it.😅Thanx for your help!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Osiris3 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:54 pm Nevermind.I fixed it.😅Thanx for your help!
The thought of having to make a new topic scared your mouse into working properly. :mrgreen:

Glad it is working. :)
Osiris3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Osiris3 »

By the way, although I can boot into Linux, and so far it seems fine, I am still seeing this:

...very briefly before I'm in.I hope you can see the text clearly.I tried my best to focus in when capturing the image.Should I be concerned?What does this error even mean?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Osiris3 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:13 pmShould I be concerned?What does this error even mean?
Message about ACPI errors are usually a result of how your computer's manufacturer wrote their firmware (BIOS/UEFI instructions) in a way that wasn't what the Linux kernel was expecting. There are guidelines, but not everyone follows those guidelines strictly. It is possible they could disappear with a future BIOS/UEFI update, but often they do not.

I have seen many times the ones you have listed and I am not aware of anyone having issues related to them. It's possible they may disappear on future kernel updates as well. I've had messages come and go on my computer and I've not done any BIOS updates in that time period.

Return to “Installation & Boot”