Installing windows on extra partition[Due to College exams]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kabeerxazi
Level 1
Level 1

Installing windows on extra partition[Due to College exams]

Post by kabeerxazi »

Hello everyone, I have been using mint for a long time . My exams require me to use SEB .. which doesn't support linux on high security mode .. It will detect VMs and I don't want to risk anything. I have a 40 gb seperate partition on my harddisk . I have a win 10 iso with me I just want to know how to install it and not lose my grub , mint and my data . My system is currently in legacy mode . Pls help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Installing windows on extra partition[Due to College exams]

Post by kato181 »

Install VirtualBox and run windows from that if you are worried about losing your LM and your data.
You should always backup your system with timeshift and your data using Back In Time, both are default on Lm but I'm sure you already know that.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Installing windows on extra partition[Due to College exams]

Post by AndyMH »

With legacy boot, win is going to overwrite grub so as a minimum you will need to re-install it after installing win. I would take a full backup of your drive before starting, preferably an image backup, but timeshift/backintime would do the job as well.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing

Or boot-repair should do the job for you, there is a copy on the mint iso.

Shame your software detects if it is running in a VM and refuses to play.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Installation & Boot”