newbie here pulling out hair

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miner57
Level 1
Level 1

newbie here pulling out hair

Post by miner57 »

Hello Ya'll,
I've been fightin this darn windblows for far tooooo long. Been tryin to install mint cinnamon 20.2 onto a flash drive but my computer won't recognize the drive. I installed mint 17.something and it loaded fine then stated that it was outdated with no support. Here I sit with a computer full of outdated OS. Any ideas on how to git this thing to see the USB after I create the bootable ISO on it? Or will I have to burn it and lose the disk? Seein that it will be the only disk I would have.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: newbie here pulling out hair

Post by all41 »

Not understanding exactly
Been tryin to install mint cinnamon 20.2 onto a flash drive but my computer won't recognize the drive
Does this mean you are trying to install cinnamon 20.2 on a flash drive as an os?
Or are you trying to install cinnamon 20.2 to a hdd in your computer?
Or are you having problems writing the .iso to a flash drive?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
miner57
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miner57 »

I downloaded the ISO for 20.2 and set up the boot from USB on the flash drive, but now my computer will not recognize my usb in the boot order set up in the bios. There is no USB present. The only choices I have are HDD or dvd or nic. Maybe I missed a step, but I am doing the same thing I did when I loaded linux 18.3, not knowing it was out of service. Is there any other way of upgrading to 20?
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Are you using a laptop? I was having the same problem with my Lenovo T450s attached to a dock. Sought help from the Forum and the solution was to remove the laptop from the dock. Did so and all works as it should

If you want to follow that thread, viewtopic.php?f=46&t=346441
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
stupidnamerequ1red
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stupidnamerequ1red »

Well, you indicate that the Linux (Mint?) you already have on your Computer was installed from USB. So unless you changed something in your BIOS since then. My bet is that it wasn't written to the USB stick correctly. Not something you necessarily did wrong. Just that it didn't get written to it correctly.
How did you write it to the USB stick? It may be enough to write it again. The stick may be failing. Also, did you check your download against the checksum to make sure it's good?

HTH

Return to “Installation & Boot”