Mint 20.2 not booting: AMD-Vi: Unable to read/write to IOMMU perf counter.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pigdriff
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 20.2 not booting: AMD-Vi: Unable to read/write to IOMMU perf counter.

Post by pigdriff »

I am attempting to dual boot Linux Mint 20.2 Uma 'cinnamon' w/Windows 10 on my ASUS ZenBook 14 UM433D; AMD Ryzen 7 3700U; AMD Radeon RX Vega 10.

I was able to get Mint to boot up for the first time, right after I made the bootable USB. So I was just about to install Mint on disk, but I ran into a problem with partitioning the system due to Windows bitlocker. I cancelled the installation process to disable it. I shutdown the laptop, left it for a week or so and then I got around to disabling bitlocker.

With bitlocker disabled, I then tried to boot up Mint again to restart the installation process. While booting Mint back up, the MOK screen popped up and I clicked enroll MOK. The screen went black and this came up:

[ 0.689030] pci 0000:00:00.2: Unable to read/write to IOMMU perf counter.

Then the Mint logo pops up, the screen goes black again and this error message 'above' pops back up. Followed by nothing but a black screen with a dash in the top corner and it would stay like that for an eternity. It doesn't boot into Mint.

I've tried searching through the forum for this exact problem and I found a topic that addressed this problem, but it doesn't totally apply to my current situation. Or I just don't understand what is being talked about. And I have no idea what the problem might be, but I have questions.

Will Mint 20.2 even work with Ryzen 7 3700U/Radeon RX Vega 10? What does this message even mean? (I'm the noobiest of Linux noobs out here, I know.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint 20.2 not booting: AMD-Vi: Unable to read/write to IOMMU perf counter.

Post by kato181 »

Try enabling virtualization in your bios and see if that works.

Return to “Installation & Boot”