[Solved] Upgrade to 20.2 failed

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

[Solved] Upgrade to 20.2 failed

Post by borgward »

Completed 20.1 to 20.2 upgrade. Selected "Restart Button". Computer restarted to black screen w/non readable verbage. Does "Restart" mean restart or shutdown and then restart?

I now have the drive with 20.2 upgrade connected to my main computer via USB. I can open it's home and open stuff from there.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Update 20.2 failed

Post by SMG »

borgward wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:34 pm Completed 20.1 to 20.2 upgrade. Selected "Restart Button". Computer restarted to black screen w/non readable verbage. Does "Restart" mean restart or shutdown and then restart?
Restart means to shutdown and restart the operating system. It does not mean to shutdown and power down all the hardware devices and then re-power the devices and restart the operating system.
borgward wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:34 pmI now have the drive with 20.2 upgrade connected to my main computer via USB. I can open it's home and open stuff from there.
Did you take a Timeshift snapshot before you upgraded? What Mint Desktop are you using?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

SMG wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:36 pmRestart means to shutdown and restart the operating system. It does not mean to shutdown and power down all the hardware devices and then re-power the devices and restart the operating system.
That's how I interpreted "Restart" just restart the OS, not the hardware. I think it would be better if the instructions said to shutdown and then restart. I reinstalled again and finished by briefly continuing the live and then shutting down the computer and then re powering the computer. Everything came up and I logged in. No black screen.

Did you take a Timeshift snapshot before you upgraded? What Mint Desktop are you using?
I did not use time shift. I may use the RSYNC type Timeshift when I get an extra drive. Desktop is Cinnamon. I have a separate Home partition, so did not loose any of my stuff. That does not mean it can't happen.
Last edited by Moem on Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote. Make sure to always use both an opening tag [quote] and a closing tag [/quote], enclosing the quote.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

borgward wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:43 am I did not use time shift. I may use the RSYNC type Timeshift when I get an extra drive. Desktop is Cinnamon. I have a separate Home partition, so did not loose any of my stuff. That does not mean it can't happen.
There are Cinnamon configuration files in the home partition.

I am not sure what may have caused the black screen unless maybe some other updates came through at the same time you were doing the upgrade.

If everything is okay now, please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

The solution when upgrading is to not press the "Restart" button but to shut the computer down and then turn the computer back on. I wonder if this happens on all computers or just Dell's.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

borgward wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:35 am The solution when upgrading is to not press the "Restart" button but to shut the computer down and then turn the computer back on. I wonder if this happens on all computers or just Dell's.
When you asked about "Restart", I thought you meant the option in the Mint shutdown menu. I would presume the "Restart" button on a desktop would do the same thing, but it is possible there might be some slight differences because that button is tied in with the hardware/BIOS.

I have a laptop and there is no separate "Restart" button.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Solved Upgrade to 20.2 failed

Post by borgward »

I was talking about the "Restart" button that occurs at the end of the upgrade. At the end you get 2 options, "Restart" or continue using the computer and then shutdown the computer.

Return to “Installation & Boot”