I failed to install 20.2 on my 20.1 with separated home

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

I failed to install 20.2 on my 20.1 with separated home

Post by Menard »

Hi

I tried but the problem is to install it in full compatibility with my home and for this you must know precisely how to set the same names ... as previous ones
and something was confusing between the name of the computer, and the two other names that are required so the name of one account didn't match with the
previous one and so the home was not transfered and that created a new one...

Could you describe precisely these 3 names in the order they are required
1st is computer
2 ?
3 ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: I failed to install 20.2

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Almost sure you are asking about this windows.
Never mind the computer's name and the name you choose in first place (your name). The third name (username) must to be exactly the same of your current user folder (/home/user)

Please confirm you have a separate /home partition (look here) and you are installing using Something else... option and selected that home partition >Change> to be mounted as /home, ext.4 file system a not checked to format.
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Yes it is in the "something else" choice and I don't really understand what my current user folder is, I have three and I chose the name of the first created, a default one in my previous installation but it is this one that generated this problem and if I remember well the new installation added something to its name as the name of the computer
In fact I now wonder if it is not because the previous user folder was encrypted : ? I had first began with home encrytion in the past but I checked that I suceeded in suppress this boot encryption

yes I "checked" this home partition to be mounted as home, and it was effective for one of my other user account I checked it
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Menard wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:52 am if I remember well the new installation added something to its name as the name of the computer
That would be computerś name which is auto-generated mixing username and computer model. You can change it any way as you did before looking at following inxi report. PC1 is your host or computer's name and u3 your username but most probably installer proposed somethig as u3-A88XM-E35.
Menard wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:52 amIn fact I now wonder if it is not because the previous user folder was encrypted : ? I had first began with home encrytion in the past but I checked that I suceeded in suppress this boot encryption
I have not experience with encrypted installation. I any case you need to be sure you did not install using LVM option with encrypted home folder... Post back following codes result

Code: Select all

parted -l
lsblk -f -e 7
Looking at your last inxi report in other thread it wont be your case (if you have encrypted /home after installation)

Code: Select all

u3@PC1:~$ inxi -Fxxxzr
(...)
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 763.85 GiB used: 548.60 GiB (71.8%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HDT725032VLA380 size: 298.09 GiB 
  speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: A52A scheme: MBR 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST3500630A size: 465.76 GiB 
  speed: 1.5 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: F scheme: MBR 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 29.40 GiB used: 11.13 GiB (37.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
  ID-2: /home size: 29.40 GiB used: 19.81 GiB (67.4%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/sdb2 
(...)

In previous inxi report /home was on sda3 (not sdb2) (ID-2: /home size: 29.40 GiB used: 26.36 GiB (89.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3)

I think you can go on installing, but you'd better wait for another user helping you.

It is worth you edit your first post (click on pencil icon on the right) and add this situation (with previously encrypted /home) to the subject.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

In fact I ve founbd that this folder (for 20.2) is still there and it is called by the name of "my computer" so it is called PC1, and I deleted it as I have formated yesterday the LM 20.2 partition (sda2)

(I moved this home to sdb2 because sda is an old disc and has had one sector reallocated, but I think it was caused by a hard power shutdown, and I control it twice a month and it stays stable)
--

Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

PC1 should not be a folder in sda2 (old Mint's root). Maybe that was the partition label/name you would see with Gparted
Screenshot from 2021-10-28 19-41-07.png
or Disks (or running suggested lsblk code you do not post back)
Screenshot from 2021-10-28 19-30-29.png
Also file browser shows labelled devices using labels by default so you can see those labels in Devices when browsing.

Partition label/name disappears on formatting that's way you can not see now.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Re: I failed to install 20.2 on my 20.1 with separated home

Post by Menard »

PC1 folder was in the home (so sdb2)
--

rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Why not just transfer the files now and do a chown on the new account?
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

But anyway I have to reinstall it, I hope it will be correct, if not I ll try to transfer the old home u1 on the new Linux Mint but I don't know how

I booted on the installation USB stick and the u1 folder was with a cross (or an X) is this normal ? I could open it simply and see all files
--

Return to “Installation & Boot”