Boot Problems after Kernel 5.4.0.90 Upgrade...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Boot Problems after Kernel 5.4.0.90 Upgrade...

Post by SMG »

asciiman wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:10 pm That was the thing... in previous bios versions, I could toggle Secure Boot on/off.
But in this version Secure Boot is always in the 'Enabled' state.
The bios has a dedicated section for Secure Boot, but provides no means of changing it.
Never seen that before.
Did you need a Supervisor password to be able to change it in the past? Some manufacturer's did require a Supervisor password to be able change it.

I have received feedback from others here on the forum with very new computers that some manufacturers are no longer giving one the option to be able to change the Secure Boot mode. (I do not recall the manufacturer.)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

SMG wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:14 pm Did you need a Supervisor password to be able to change it in the past? Some manufacturer's did require a Supervisor password to be able change it.
No. But that's very interesting all the same.
But I never saw any documentation or dissemination of that info on the ASUS website.
Maybe I missed it.
Worth following up on that one.

To be honest, I have to admit, I might have something slightly off in the bios...
OpRom state, legacy or UEFI or both?
One would think that if there were a problem with my settings, the system would continually have a boot problem. But that's never been the case.
Only with a kernel upgrade and only since I upgraded to the ASUS ver 2011 bios and moved up to Mint 20.2 (which I like very much!).

Well, I am going to sleep on it and follow up with some inquiries to ASUS tech support in the next few days.

Thanks again for your help. 8)
I will be back to post what I learn.
caltrop4
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caltrop4 »

I'm having issues with MTP, Android, & rsync

things used to work but the last two kernel updates MTP became unstable

also...
copy would work once then the next use the destination files would be ZERO bytes, this is DISATEROUS when using move, source files gone and ZERO byte destination

I will be reverting two kernels back to something stable

these last kernel updates are DISASTERS!
🤪🔥💥💀
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

caltrop4 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:53 pm I'm having issues with MTP, Android, & rsync

things used to work but the last two kernel updates MTP became unstable

also...
copy would work once then the next use the destination files would be ZERO bytes, this is DISATEROUS when using move, source files gone and ZERO byte destination

I will be reverting two kernels back to something stable

these last kernel updates are DISASTERS!
🤪🔥💥💀
If you would like help with your issues, please create a new topic.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

SMG wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:56 pm
asciiman wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:43 pmWith regard to that link you shared, the software in question is a Windows-based GUI that ASUS provides for making OC and feature changes while in the host (Windows) OS.
I didn't realize there was BIOS software that was only available if one had a specific operating system. :? I learn something new all the time.
It is not so. OC is referred to Overclocking can be enabled and configure from inside BIOS. Maybe you mean beatifull fine-grained customization tools that PC makers provide only for Windows.In any case, you can do it also from Linux in a harder way (just look for how ro overclock from Linux/Ununtu/...)

In the same way Optimized Default are not "only" for Windows but for all the OS installed.
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
caltrop4
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caltrop4 »

thought I was helping... 🤯

solved my problems by rolling back to
kernel 5.4.0+89

now things are back to normal

I unplugged all peripherals
held shift during boot to bring up grub menu
booted earlier kernel
in Mint I removed every kernel after

the 5.4.0-9? kernels do not work on my system, all kinds of stuff wrong

😼
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

SMG wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:14 pm I have received feedback from others here on the forum with very new computers that some manufacturers are no longer giving one the option to be able to change the Secure Boot mode. (I do not recall the manufacturer.)
I gave it a look within the ASUS bios.
It appears that the only way to turn off Secure Boot is to delete the installed keys.
Keys can be saved on a USB stick before deletion.

So how are old keys removed when upgrading to a new version of an OS?
Does that all get handled by the OS installer?

Not to derail the topic, just mildly curious.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

asciiman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:33 pmI gave it a look within the ASUS bios.
It appears that the only way to turn off Secure Boot is to delete the installed keys.
Keys can be saved on a USB stick before deletion.
I am not very familiar with that process. I would think ASUS would probably be able to give you better information than I could.
asciiman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:33 pmSo how are old keys removed when upgrading to a new version of an OS?
Does that all get handled by the OS installer?

Not to derail the topic, just mildly curious.
Here is Ubuntu wiki: SecureBoot . Maybe the info there will help answer your questions.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

There are those here that insist all kernel upgrades need to be installed. I am not one of those, and what I'm about to write applies to home systems. Kernel upgrades include all types of (pardon my blunt explanation) crap. If you have a kernel installed that works with all of your hardware and gives no problems, there is no reason at all to upgrade it. The ONLY reason to upgrade a kernel is if you have hardware that your kernel does not support, or marginally supports, or if there is a known REMOTE EXPLOIT in the kernel (and remote kernel exploits are as rare as hen's teeth). Upgrading of a working kernel is an invitation to problems, as you have discovered. My advice is to not do it. I reject all kernel updates when I have a working system, except for those that fix remote exploits, and I have never regretted it (and I use Linux on my home systems, and have for over 20 years). My experience with kernel updates is, 'Are you feeling lucky?'.

Return to “Installation & Boot”