Error No working init found

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lolmini
Level 1
Level 1

Error No working init found

Post by lolmini »

Hello, I was looking for help since I cannot install linux mint, I always get the same init not working error, when I try to use init = option it does not work either, before I could install it but apparently I do not know what happened that now and it does not work, I tried with several versions of linux mint and with several programs like balena etcher and ventoy but it didn't work either, the specs of my pc are: phenom ii x4 955, 6gb ram ddr2, 4 hard drives, gtx 1050 (linux mint 20.2 xfce and linux mint 19.2 xfce)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Error No working init found

Post by mikeflan »

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you are having trouble. Looks like you have tried quite a number of things on your own.

So does the live boot (install USB) boot up? Where/when do you get the init not working error? Please give the exact error you see.
lolmini
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lolmini »

mikeflan wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:06 pm Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you are having trouble. Looks like you have tried quite a number of things on your own.

So does the live boot (install USB) boot up? Where/when do you get the init not working error? Please give the exact error you see.
Sorry for the delay, it does not start, it appears after hitting install linux mint and I tried the compatibility option too, the error is this: --- [end Kernel panic - not syncing: No working init found. Try passing init = option to kernel. See Linux Documentation / init.rst for guidance.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Hmm. Number 5 is the only thing I remotely understand about this:
https://mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentati ... e/init.rst

And I don't see anything wrong with your architecture. Sorry I couldn't help.
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by acerimusdux »

Sorry for the delay, it does not start, it appears after hitting install linux mint
Well I take it then you are able to boot the live usb, and you are getting this after clicking on the install mint icon (which probably looks like a disk).

If so, try opening a terminal on the live session, and running these commands:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxz

journalctl -k -b -p 3

lsblk

fdisk -l
Then open the browser in the live session, come here (forums.linuxmint.com), and you can cut and paste the output from those commands.

I'm curious what you system is seeing there, especially as far as the drives. If the problem isn't occurring until after the install, when you reboot, it is possible, with four different drives attached, that it is simply looking in the wrong place. If it is occurring shortly after you click the install icon, then there may be a problem with your iso, but I want to see if is giving any errors from when it initially boots.

Return to “Installation & Boot”