Some coding lines show up during the boot-up

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
David Borrink
Level 1
Level 1

Some coding lines show up during the boot-up

Post by David Borrink »

On a dual-boot setup, which will soon be a single-boot, during the boot-up we’re seeing some sets of code show up on the screen for a quick moment. It’s too quick to really get a grasp of what it’s saying, but the boot-up always completes into Mint. Is it normal for a boot-up to have these lines of coding show up in the upper left corner? One moment has a blinking single cursor for a second or two.

The reason I ask is that we did a test run of setting up a dual boot and then removal of Windows on a 14" HP laptop with only 60GB hard drive, and that laptop doesn’t have the black screen with white lines of code for the moments during it’s boot-up.

I’m wondering if this is a case of just being an older HP laptop (4 years). Any ideas about this? Perhaps it would go away once the laptop is set to only have the Linux partition on it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Some coding lines show up during the boot-up

Post by Grayfox »

From what you're describing youre seeing the systemd boot messages.

Dont be scared, this is just a verbose log of what the kernel is loading up.
The OS logo you see(be it MacOS, Windows or Linux) is just their to look pretty and not scare some people with all these messges flying by.

The reason youre seeing them seems to be for some reason quite splash has been removed from the grub config files so you're not seeing the mint logo.

I personally perfer to see the boot messages, it can give a good indication of when the system hangs or when something goes critically wrong.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
David Borrink
Level 1
Level 1

Post by David Borrink »

Possibly. It happens a little before and after the LM logo startup screen, and it's a narrow column at the left corner of the screen. Very small type.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

Dont worry about it.
Nothing serious.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SimonPeter »

If you're talking about the systemd messages, they're just harmless messages that show you what the system is doing / has done at that point of time.
(as @Grayfox mentioned earlier).
Qapla
Level 2
Level 2
Location: San Francisco, 6,437 meters SouthEast of the future home of Starfleet Academy

Post by Qapla »

It is unlikely to be systemd messages unless the OP changed the quiet splash option in grub, and I don't get that sense from the description. On my 5 year old laptop (Lenovo, not HP, but no mater ...) there is a similar flash of very tiny type before the Mint logo appears. It says "failure to communicate with TPM chip". That is because Linux is looking for the Trusted Platform Module chip that is turned off in my BIOS. The type is very small because the screen is very high resolution and Linux always starts with the highest native support before switching to the last chosen display resolution.

Net result: not to worry.
Qapla' - Success! (Klingon salutation on departure to battle)
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

Qapla wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:35 pm It is unlikely to be systemd messages unless the OP changed the quiet splash option in grub, and I don't get that sense from the description. On my 5 year old laptop (Lenovo, not HP, but no mater ...) there is a similar flash of very tiny type before the Mint logo appears. It says "failure to communicate with TPM chip". That is because Linux is looking for the Trusted Platform Module chip that is turned off in my BIOS. The type is very small because the screen is very high resolution and Linux always starts with the highest native support before switching to the last chosen display resolution.

Net result: not to worry.
You can still bring up the systemd messages by pressing the arrow keys during post
But that "failure to communicate with TPM chip" does pop up with splash enabled.

Return to “Installation & Boot”