Move your Mint to an USB external hard drive (tutorial)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Move your Mint to an USB external hard drive (tutorial)

Post by Menard »

Hi

On a system that boot on Bios and with DOS partitions and without AHCI or RAID or else ...
Clone your current Mint installation from your Sata or Pata internal hard drive to your USB external hard drive ...
I ve just done it and with a separate home on another internal disk
I cloned it with Clonezilla Live USB in default mode, partition to partition, and it appeared that it didn't restore grub
I had to use a Mint live USB to edit the fstab to remove a line that automounted a partition on the source disk
and to install grub with boot repair
That's all

Questions ? :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Move your Mint to an USB external hard drive (tutorial)

Post by Menard »

Notice this :
This problem may appear, with USB external drives, that if you protect it against shocks, vibrations, with some material, it may be vulnerable when you plug and unplug some other devices and touch the USB cable of the drive, that may induce vibrations and cause errors if writing at the same moment ... I had this I guess one time and I was immediately aware of this, and continued to check the SMART values and in one week BF item climbed from 3 to 5 and C0 item from 15 to 18 but I don't really know if it is important this last, perhaps it means hard resets (?)
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.

Return to “Installation & Boot”