(SOLVED) I seemed to be in a right mess!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

(SOLVED) I seemed to be in a right mess!

Post by miknun »

Hello
I am sitting in my office with 4 computers of varying types and OS's with none of them working for one reason or another.
To get 3 of them working I need one that I can use to download load with suitable iso and a carrier program to install linux mint.
Of the two I can get to operate
1 is an ancient compaq nx 8220 laptop. It needed a new hard drive, that I have installed, I then run a Linux 32-bit XFCE installation disc, it seemed to work to begin with but then got message that meant the RTC battery needing replacing. I have done that but I now got the flowing message "error: attempt to read or write outside of the disk 'hd0' Entering rescue mode grub rescue> “
2 the other machine is a recently acquired Apple G5 running what I think is Tiger OS, I got it to work. It will start fine each time I turn on. Then after a while the mouse pointer turns in the spinning multi-coloured wheel, and then I can do nothing with-it. The system seems to freeze.
I am hoping somebody can tell me either: how I can sort out one or other of the above machines, or let me know where I can purchase a Linux mint cinnamon distro that has a suitable program on a disc allowing it to work on an apple OS.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: I seemed to be in a right mess!

Post by kato181 »

When you replace the battery it deletes your bios settings. You have to go into your bios and go to the hard drive section and enable the drive, and set that drive as first boot, and check other settings also if you need to.
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Re: I seemed to be in a right mess!

Post by miknun »

Thank you Kato181
You have allowed me to achieve what I have been trying to for the last three months, which is to have one of my machines back to a working condition.
Thanks again
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: (SOLVED) I seemed to be in a right mess!

Post by kato181 »

Glad you got it going..

Return to “Installation & Boot”