My Mint system will not come up anymore....

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
11jar11
Level 1
Level 1

My Mint system will not come up anymore....

Post by 11jar11 »

I am running Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon. The system was acting sluggish and kept asking me for my password for I think the router. After awhile is just wouldn't boot anymore. When I turn it on it comes up with three choices. They are:

1 Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon which when selected goes to the MSI logo and sits there.
2 Advanced options for Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon which goes to grub.
3 UEFI Firmware setting which simply goes to the MSI logo.

At this point, I am lost. I am not a very knowledgeable person on Linux.

Any ideas on how to get going again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: My Mint system will not come up anymore....

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Did you change something in UEFI/BIOS setting (boot mode [UEFI], Fast boot[disable], Secure Boot[disable], SATA mode [AHCI] if there is no RAID defined, as per IRST,...)? If it is so or your are not sure, get into UEFI setting interface (pressing Del key as soon as you power on computer) and just undo or change that settings as indicated. Exit and Save changes if any (F10) and try it again.

1.In current Mint edition, also in my case and I don't know why, once you choose an option in GRUB menu and press Enter, MSI logo appears again and then Mint system start charging. I mean this could be a system hung/freeze maybe because off graphics, kernel update,... You will be able to do as indicated here (Solving freezes during the boot sequence) in order to edit that boot option and use that kernel parameter (nomodeset),....

2.Which kernels are present in GRUB menu Advanced options? Did you tried them all, even in recovery mode?

3.This option should get you into UEFI setting interface after MSI logo. Do you mean it doesn't happen?

If you can boot Mint doing as proposed or, if it is not, booting your Linux Mint Live, open a terminal and post back following codes result.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxzr
mokutil -sb-state
sudo blkid
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.

Return to “Installation & Boot”