after shutdown LM logo stays another 10 seconds

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
therob
Level 1
Level 1

after shutdown LM logo stays another 10 seconds

Post by therob »

Hey,
since I manually installed Kernel 5.15 (see this post) on LM 20.2 I had the small problem that the shutdown process (until my notbook completely switches off) is now about 10 seconds longer than before.
Observation: if I shutdown everything runs very fast (windows are closed, screen gets black, LM logo is spinning, screen black) and after about 3-4 seconds formerly Notebook just went off - but now with 5.15 after this a static LM-logo reapperas and stays for about 10-15 seconds, in the end the fan rotates higher (like during heavy CPU usage) and finally notebook shuts down.

Inspired by this tread I tried to find any clue by removing the kernel parameter quite splash from my start entry (via grub customizer) - und despite I can't see any lines of error during shutdown the behaviour is now as fast as expected - after less than 5 seconds after pressing shutdown, the notebook is off. Without the additional 10 seconds (and also without any LM logo).

Could you give me some hints where to look for some root causes?
Thanks!

I did already checked logs with journalctl -b -1, but couldn't find any lines with error/failure (details also here). Seems everything is shutting down correctly, also inlc. the filesystem (therefore at the time index the static LM-logo reappears, no logs are available, I guess).

Here some more details via inxi (-G), say if you need more:

Code: Select all

lshw
Beschreibung: Notebook
Produkt: Aspire E5-575G (Aspire E5-575G_115F_1.12)
Hersteller: Acer
Version: V1.12 

inxi:
CPU: Dual Core Intel Core i5-7200U (-MT MCP-) 
speed/min/max: 1207/400/3100 MHz Kernel: 5.15.6-051506-generic x86_64 Up: 1m 
Mem: 2668.8/7819.0 MiB (34.1%) Storage: 938.93 GiB (49.4% used) Procs: 277 
Shell: bash 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.38 

inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce 940MX] driver: N/A 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting 
  unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.0.3

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
therob
Level 1
Level 1

Re: after shutdown LM logo stays another 10 seconds

Post by therob »

Nobody any idea how to further check my problem?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

therob wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:09 pm Nobody any idea how to further check my problem?
What "problem" are you trying to diagnose? You are using an unsupported mainline kernel. Unless there are others also using that unsupported kernel, then it will be hard for anyone else to help you.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
therob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by therob »

I am asking more in the direction what diagnostic I can further try to narrow down the root problem. Maybe also for helping joining Kernel 5.15+ and Linux Mint 20+ in further releases?

The "problem" is, that a static LinuxMint-Logo stays on screen also about 10-15 seconds after the "normal shutdown" process, and also after the very last log log entry saved and states systemd[1]: Shutting down. . Thats still after the normal turning LM-Logo which I also had before for 5seconds with mainline kernel and what I am used to.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

therob wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:16 amMaybe also for helping joining Kernel 5.15+ and Linux Mint 20+ in further releases?
Canonical makes some modifications to kernels used for Ubuntu so the kernels work well with Ubuntu. That is why we recommend using the kernels in Update Manager and not mainline kernels. So what you are investigating may not be relevant for a future Ubuntu kernel.
therob wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:16 am I am asking more in the direction what diagnostic I can further try to narrow down the root problem.

The "problem" is, that a static LinuxMint-Logo stays on screen also about 10-15 seconds after the "normal shutdown" process, and also after the very last log log entry saved and states systemd[1]: Shutting down. . Thats still after the normal turning LM-Logo which I also had before for 5seconds with mainline kernel and what I am used to.
When you shut down the computer you are both stopping and shutting down the operating system and shutting down the firmware and powering down the hardware. I make those distinctions because they may have relevance to the issue you are seeing.

You can boot up and shut down a computer without having an operating system installed. In that case you are booting up the firmware (BIOS/UEFI) and powering up the hardware and then the reverse during shutdown. While some firmware may have a place for messages during that part of the cycle, most do not.

When you install an operating system, such as Linux Mint, you are then adding a start up of the operating system and a shut down of the operating system in the middle of the start up/shut down of the firmware/hardware. For that reason, there could be images still in the memory of the GPU or monitor showing on screen even though the operating system is shut down and done. (This seems to be more likely to happen with Nvidia drivers used on Nvidia GPUs based on feedback I've heard from others on this forum.) The operating system already sent the message to shut down the hardware, so the operating system's work is done. It is up to the firmware and hardware to complete the shutdown process. I do not know of any place where you can find messages about that end part. That would be completely dependent on the hardware since the operating system is no longer running.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”