Is the Welcome menu a GRUB menu or SysLinux menu or a boot menu?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
benev4131
Level 1
Level 1

Is the Welcome menu a GRUB menu or SysLinux menu or a boot menu?

Post by benev4131 »

I have a terminology question.

When Mint 20.2 MATE LiveDisc starts, the following menu appears and pauses.

Code: Select all

Welcome to Linux Mint 20.1 MATE 64-bit

Start Linux Mint
Start in compatibility mode
OEM install (for manufacturers)
Hardware Detection
Boot from local drive
Memory test

Press Tab to edit options
What is this Welcome menu? Is this a "GRUB menu"? Or is this a "SysLinux menu" instead of "GRUB menu"? Can this be called a "boot menu"?

If, the fifth menu item "Boot from local drive" is selected and Tab is pressed, then the following command line appears.

> .com32 chain.c32 hd0
This command line belongs to the SysLinux boot loader. For "chain.c32", see "https://wiki.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Comboot/chain.c32". For "com32", see "https://www.syslinux.org/old/comboot.php".

There are three major boot loaders, GRUB, SysLinux and LILO. I assume that these three loaders are mutually exclusive. Hence, I guess that, if SysLinux is used, then GRUB cannot be there.

The fifth menu item "Boot from local drive" invokes the SysLinux boot loader. Because a menu item invokes the SysLinux boot loader, I wonder if this entire menu is displayed and controlled by SysLinux (instead of GRUB). Is this entire Welcome menu displayed and controlled by SysLinux? Then, this Welcome menu would be a SysLinux menu but not a GRUB menu. Correct me if I am wrong.

Furthermore, can this menu be called a "boot menu"? Especially when one is not sure whether GRUB or SysLinux, then the term "boot menu" is more appropriate, is it not?

By the way, if the first menu item "Start Linux Mint" is selected and Tab is pressed, then the following command appears.

/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/linuxmint.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --
Who will uncompress and execute "vmlinuz"? Does SysLinux (instead of GRUB) uncompress and execute "vmlinuz" here as well?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”