cant install mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guerrilla mail
Level 2
Level 2

cant install mint

Post by guerrilla mail »

Hi
I am running a machine with HDD0 master drive running win xp (which can boot its self)
I have put the mint 19 disk in and booted from CD. I try install and after the select language page I select install button
Then I am taken to another diolog box which says "you need at least 10.7GB of to install linux mint, this computer has only 0.0 B"

I wish to create a duel partison, but surly the disk would allow me to even at least format the HDD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: cant install mint

Post by Moem »

Yes, it does. Before you start the installer, you can start GParted and use that to format and partition the disk as you wish.
Another option is to shrink the Win partition from inside Windows, in case you want to keep that.
Whaever you do, make very sure to backup your data on an external medium before you start.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: cant install mint

Post by all41 »

Yes it is best to shrink ntfs partitions using Windows----leave the freed space unformatted.
Then while booted to the live desktop use gparted to prepare partitions in advance--or just do it during the install
by choosing the 'Something else' option.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Installation & Boot”