Mint 20.2 will no longer boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
superbit
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 20.2 will no longer boot

Post by superbit »

I am a LONG time windows user but LOVING mint so far; however, I have encountered a problem I just can't solve.

Linux Mint was updating Mesa drivers as it seems to on a daily basis and got an error. Now when I restart I just get a flashing underscore in the top right corner of both my monitors. I have booted into recovery and tried to repair packages but says none to repair. After I do that though I can then choose resume and it will boot but as soon as I login it goes to fallback mode and only 1 monitor works, the other one won't even detect.

I have tried reinstalling the AMD drivers from there it seems to work but when I reboot its the same issue.

I have an AMD radeon RX 5700 XT

Please let me know the next step to troubleshooting this.

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nickcat325
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 20.2 will no longer boot

Post by nickcat325 »

My first step would be getting to a terminal. Tell me how far the boot process gets or what happens. It starts with grub to xorg to login manager to desktop manager. Are you able to do ctrl+alt+F2 to get to a terminal?

Edit: Nvm, you have your details posted. I think you hare the right idea, drivers. I don't have a AMD graphics card but try the drivers app from recovery.
superbit
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 20.2 will no longer boot

Post by superbit »

Sorry, really new to linux.

Am I doing this in recovery mode or where I see the flashing underscore in the top left corner when trying a normal boot?

Here is a video of my computer booting up:

https://imgur.com/a/m7YaGH7

Return to “Installation & Boot”