Cannot get windows10 boot to find Mint20 on sda8

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Daveinthesquare
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot get windows10 boot to find Mint20 on sda8

Post by Daveinthesquare »

Mint was running fine on a dual install with windows10 on HP Pavillion. Dual boot did not show but could find mint via Boot options, Notebook Hard Drive, which then offered in grub2 Linux mint. This booted up fine and all was well until an error showed that the partition was full! It was then unable to boot up. I was able to use gparted from a live distro to extend the Mint partition sda8 from 20Gb up to 100Gb into unallocated space on the 2Tb HDD. This may have impacted on the boot partition in sda9, but it did boot up again and functioned well. When I later booted back to Windows that would not work. Microsoft had sneaked an update in which had removed access to local account sign-in. Only way back was via Microsoft account password! Having finally got back and dealt with business in windows, I tried to get back up in Mint, but cannot now get in at all.
I have tried Boot Repair etc but cannot get Mint to boot.
I know it is still there on sda8. I can mount that using the live distro and can see all the mint files, I can run some programs from there! But I cannot find a way to boot it properly.
Any help welcome!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Cannot get windows10 boot to find Mint20 on sda8

Post by kato181 »

Boot into your live session disk, and in terminal copy & paste the following command and post the results back here in between the code display brackets </>
sudo fdisk -l

Return to “Installation & Boot”