LM 19.3 32bit on Old Macbook

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KATAMAPAH
Level 1
Level 1

LM 19.3 32bit on Old Macbook

Post by KATAMAPAH »

Hi Everyone,

I've got an old Macbook (really old) with 80GB HDD, 4GB of RAM and Intel Core 2 32bit processor (I believe it's 2006-2008 machine).

I have downloaded LM 19.3 32bit and used Balena Etcher to burn the image on a USB stick.

I have found multiple instructions online and followed a few of them. To sum up: I've tried booting into USB by pressing option/alt key and powering on the laptop. I kept getting just the white screen on the laptop no matter what. I tried using C + power on - same story. I have partitioned the HDD and created 20GB of storage on it. I have installed rEFIt, rebooted and could see the modified bootloader. The moment I plug in the USB drive, rEFIt hangs and I can't do anything about it. If I unplug the USB drive, I can navigate in rEFIt, but it's pointless since the USB is unplugged.

Any recommendations are much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LM 19.3 32bit on Old Macbook

Post by Reddog1 »

Try a different thumb drive. Your old laptop may not supply enough power to the usb ports to keep your thumb drive functioning. As I found out, and stated in another thread--not all thumb drives are created equal.
KATAMAPAH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KATAMAPAH »

Reddog1 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:25 pm Try a different thumb drive. Your old laptop may not supply enough power to the usb ports to keep your thumb drive functioning. As I found out, and stated in another thread--not all thumb drives are created equal.
I tried a different USB drive (a very old one), got the same issue. Any other ideas?
KATAMAPAH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KATAMAPAH »

I followed this post and it worked! viewtopic.php?t=241244

Return to “Installation & Boot”