Installing GRUB after installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trinity5150
Level 1
Level 1

Installing GRUB after installation

Post by trinity5150 »

I have a computer with multiple hard drives. One has windows and now the second drive has Linux Mint. I unplugged the windows hard drive and installed mint on the second hard drive. When I have both hard drives plugged in, It only boots into Mint. Is it possible to install GRUB so that I can choose which OS to boot or would I be better off reinstalling Mint with both hard drives plugged in and install Mint on the second drive?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Installing GRUB after installation

Post by JerryF »

trinity5150 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:02 pm I have a computer with multiple hard drives. One has windows and now the second drive has Linux Mint. I unplugged the windows hard drive and installed mint on the second hard drive. When I have both hard drives plugged in, It only boots into Mint. Is it possible to install GRUB so that I can choose which OS to boot or would I be better off reinstalling Mint with both hard drives plugged in and install Mint on the second drive?
You'll need to plug in the drive with Windows. Boot into Mint. Then run the following command in a Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
The password it asks for will be for your account.

Return to “Installation & Boot”