[solved] Mint upgraded with Kali repository

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
D1D0
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] Mint upgraded with Kali repository

Post by D1D0 »

I made something stupid :roll: , I was trying to install a tool from Kali Linux repository but accidentally I update upgrade my PC
Now it don't start but I have access to CLI via recovery mode.
Any advice to undo this mismatch?

Even Kali picture is in grub this is scary :cry: :cry:
Maybe restoring repositories and dist-upgrade but first need internet access
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint upgraded with Kali repository

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Use your latest Timeshift snapshot, booting from Linux Mint ISO on a DVD or USB disk (Timeshift is on Mint ISO and you can launch it from the DVD / USB key).

Or use your latest system image, booting from Foxclone / Clonezilla on a DVD or USB disk.

If you have no backup, perform a fresh install. And think to the way you will make backups.

Here is what I do:
- I have an USB key, made with Ventoy, on which are Foxclone, Linux Mint 20.3 Mate and System Rescue ISOs. I can boot on this key and choose the ISO I want to launch.

- My "/" and my "/home" are on separate partitions.

- I use an external USB disk for backups.

- "/" backup:
* I take an image with Foxclone every two or three weeks, or before big changes (Mint 20.2 --> 20.3...),
* I take a system snapshot with Timeshift every two days, I keep two; it is fast, Timeshift is a differential backup software.

- "/" restore:
* if possible, restore with Timeshift, from working system;
* if not possible or not working, restore with Timeshift, from Mint 20.3 ISO;
* if not possible or not working, restore with Foxclone, and update with Timeshift, from the system.

- "/home" backup:
* I use FreeFileSync, launched in super user mode to keep files attributes (launched with "sudo -H", it is not very orthodox, but it is a no risk replacement of obsolete gksu and gksudo commands).
* I make a home backup every day; it is fast, FreeFileSync is a differential backup software.

- "/home" restore:
* with FreeFileSync or file manager (caja with Linux Mint Mate).

System Rescue is there for repairs.
Of course, there are other ways to do.

Regards,

MN
Level 1

Re: Mint upgraded with Kali repository

Post by D1D0 »

Thanks for the advice
Found a 5day-old timeshift snapshot and it works fine
Better than keep breaking head for some lil changes
Praise the backups

Return to “Installation & Boot”