Mint 19.3 won't install to HP hard-drive [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kunkle
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19.3 won't install to HP hard-drive [SOLVED]

Post by Kunkle »

Hello,

After successfully installing Mint Mate 19.3 from a 4gb USB stick to numerous laptops over the last few years (some easier than others), I'm stumped by my latest install attempt.

I'm trying to install it on a brand new HP 14s-dq2514sa laptop. After selecting the language It then says "your computer needs 10.7gb, but only has 4gb". So it's trying to install to the USB stick. There isn't an option to install it to the laptop's hard drive.

Does anybody know what the problem could be, or how to remedy it? I'm not a clueless n00b with computers, but neither am I a whizz kid. I'm in the middle.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 19.3 won't install to HP hard-drive

Post by deepakdeshp »

What does

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
return?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

Are you doing a fresh install of LM or a dual boot install with windows?
Ok checking that model out I see what bios is used on that laptop it appears it's using the crappy Insyde bios system. I'm assuming that the sata mode is hidden in the bios that's why you are only being shown the usb stick to install to. Not having the laptop I can't help you much other than see if sata mode is enabled in the bios, if it isn't you may have to look for it in the bios menu. If that fails then try using the edge.iso it usually works on systems that use the Insyde bios system.
Kunkle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kunkle »

kato181 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:31 am If that fails then try using the edge.iso it usually works on systems that use the Insyde bios system.
Ah yes it was this, thank you. I downloaded and verified Mint 20.2 with edge iso, wrote it to a USB stick, and it worked a treat.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint 19.3 won't install to HP hard-drive SOLVED

Post by kato181 »

The edge.iso LM20.3 should be out soon if the dev's have finished testing it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”