[Solved] unable to get mint to boot on efi laptop - constant reset loop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guythp
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] unable to get mint to boot on efi laptop - constant reset loop

Post by guythp »

Hello,

I hope someone can assist as I can't work out what I'm doing wrong (probably something simple).

I have an acer aspire es1-331 that previously had mint MATE installed on it for some time but over time various packages became broken (my fault) so I decided to perform a clean install - My aim is to be able to use woeUSB to install windows on it (when I tried using the already installed version of mint the installation failed due to a broken package and I'm passing the laptop on to one of the kids who is used to windows at school and I don't have the energy to argue)

After 3 tries and finally turning secureboot off I can install Mint without any obvious issues during installation but when I restart the machine it comes up with a 'reset' message as soon as the acer logo appears and it then resets in a loop. I can still boot the live usb up and have tried changing the boot order but I still get the reset error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*edit*
Right, after around 9 attempts including trying to burn windows to a usb stick using several methods this just isn't happening. I think I'll change my tack and work to getting a linux distro installed first, then work from there.. assuming I don't throw the laptop out of the window.. to all who at least viewed this I thank you for the attention :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”