Installer hangs after media codecs

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Augusto_
Level 1
Level 1

Installer hangs after media codecs

Post by Augusto_ »

Hi, im trying to do a dual boot with Mint and win 10 on a desktop pc, I've installed win 10 and now I'm trying to install Mint in another ssd but the installation gets loading and loading when it gets to media codecs. Mint 20.3 Live boots and works well from USB stick. From Live, the Installer moves quickly through language and keyboard selection to Media Codecs, then, whether or not I check the install codecs box and continue, the little "processing" circle app appears and remains until I force quit.

Some of the approaches tried and failed (all with the same result):

1. Media Codecs: Tried both checking the install codecs box and not checking it.
2. Boot: Secure boot is off. Also tried installing OEM mode and compatibility mode.
3. Disconnecting SSD: When installing Mint, win 10 ssd isn't connected.

Should I try another Mint version? Could some bios settings be the problem?

Pc specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte B560M DS3H
CPU: Intel i5 11400
RAM: 8gb 3200Mhz
GPU: UHD730 (IGPU)
Mint SSD: GIGABYTE SSD 240GB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikaelrask
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Installer hangs after media codecs

Post by mikaelrask »

Hey and welcome to the forum and linux mint based on your cpu witch is released about a year ago March 2021 i would suggest you download the edge version of linux mint and give that a try viewtopic.php?f=143&t=365852.

second sens your duel booting with windows you might wanna consider disable fastboot aswell from bios.

good luck
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900
Graphic Card: AMD ATI Radeon RX 7900 XT/7900 XTX/7900M
Ram 32 GB ddr 5
Kernel: 6.5.0-14 generic
LM Cinnamon 21.3 edge
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Augusto_ wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:56 pmShould I try another Mint version? Could some bios settings be the problem?
Welcome to the forum, Augusto.

You might want to also consider trying a different usb stick. I helped someone on a topic who was able to boot to a live session, but was running into issues at the media codecs section like you are and it turned out to be a problem with the usb stick.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
mmortal03
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mmortal03 »

I can even reproduce this freezing *in VirtualBox* if the NAT Network adapter is attached, so it's likely some sort of networking bug.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Shot in the dark: Try installing without an internet connection (and no codecs).

If this works, report back and we can talk about how to install the codecs post-system installation.

ETA: If it doesn't work, please post your system information, which will help us to help you.
Last edited by pbear on Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmortal03
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mmortal03 »

Media codecs aren't the actual problem -- it doesn't matter whether media codecs are selected to install or not, that's just the point at where it freezes. If you detach the NAT Network Adapter in VirtualBox, then the installation doesn't freeze, and it will even install the media codecs. It's simply a bug that needs to be fixed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mmortal03 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:14 pm It's simply a bug that needs to be fixed.
Did you report the bug? That would be the only way it might get fixed.

This is a user forum where users help other users. We do not change the code to fix bugs here.
mmortal03
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mmortal03 »

SMG wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:02 pm
mmortal03 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:14 pm It's simply a bug that needs to be fixed.
Did you report the bug? That would be the only way it might get fixed.

This is a user forum where users help other users. We do not change the code to fix bugs here.
Will do. I'm searching for any previously reported bug report over on the github now.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

As an FYI, I've never had this issue when installing 20.3 on different computers, so I doubt it's a bug.
mmortal03
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mmortal03 »

JerryF wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:39 pm As an FYI, I've never had this issue when installing 20.3 on different computers, so I doubt it's a bug.
That's not at all how bugs work. It can definitely be a bug, just specific to certain conditions.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

mmortal03 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:01 pm
JerryF wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:39 pm As an FYI, I've never had this issue when installing 20.3 on different computers, so I doubt it's a bug.
That's not at all how bugs work. It can definitely be a bug, just specific to certain conditions.
That depends on the number of times this happens and if it happens on several different setups. As an example, if someone's installation disk/drive is faulty, doesn't necessarily mean there's a bug.
mmortal03
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mmortal03 »

JerryF wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:17 pm
That depends on the number of times this happens and if it happens on several different setups. As an example, if someone's installation disk/drive is faulty, doesn't necessarily mean there's a bug.
You can test it for yourself in VirtualBox on however many machines you want.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

mmortal03 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:36 pm
You can test it for yourself in VirtualBox on however many machines you want.
I also have installed 20.3 in Virtualbox several times. Again, no issues.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Conversely, one user having trouble on particular hardware isn't considered a bug. If the OP is able to install with internet disabled, I'll consider that soft confirmation of the bug. Alas, he seems to have given up, so we'll probably never know.

ETA: Out of curiosity, I just installed Cinn 20.3 in VBox (I generally use 20.1). Default installation, with network connection to the internet enabled and codec box ticked. Did use EFI mode though, rather than BIOS, to make the VM more useful for Forum support. Installation went through fine, no problems, no delays, no drama.
mmortal03
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mmortal03 »

JerryF wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:22 pm I also have installed 20.3 in Virtualbox several times. Again, no issues.
What version of VirtualBox are you using? What host OS is VirtualBox installed on?

I'm willing to make a YouTube video of the issue to prove it to you, from VirtualBox configuration start to finish, if you'd like.

I've been able to reproduce it so far on three Windows 10 PCs running VirtualBox-6.1.34a-150636. Theoretically, it could be some sort of emulation/virtualization bug just in VirtualBox, but then why are other people experiencing it when *not* in such a setup?

I also tried Ubuntu's installer for comparison. No problems there.
pbear wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:51 pm ETA: Out of curiosity, I just installed Cinn 20.3 in VBox (I generally use 20.1). Default installation, with network connection to the internet enabled and codec box ticked. Did use EFI mode though, rather than BIOS, to make the VM more useful for Forum support. Installation went through fine, no problems, no delays, no drama.
I just ran a test with EFI ticked, and it still froze on me. :(
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

mmortal03 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:28 am
What version of VirtualBox are you using? What host OS is VirtualBox installed on?

I'm willing to make a YouTube video of the issue to prove it to you, from VirtualBox configuration start to finish, if you'd like.

I've been able to reproduce it so far on three Windows 10 PCs running VirtualBox-6.1.34a-150636. Theoretically, it could be some sort of emulation/virtualization bug just in VirtualBox, but then why are other people experiencing it when *not* in such a setup?

I also tried Ubuntu's installer for comparison. No problems there.
pbear wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:51 pm ETA: Out of curiosity, I just installed Cinn 20.3 in VBox (I generally use 20.1). Default installation, with network connection to the internet enabled and codec box ticked. Did use EFI mode though, rather than BIOS, to make the VM more useful for Forum support. Installation went through fine, no problems, no delays, no drama.
I just ran a test with EFI ticked, and it still froze on me. :(
Virtualbox 6.1 and I run 2 virtual machines at the moment. One is Windows 10, the other is Mint 20.3 Xfce.

I believe you that you're having issues when installing. I'm just stating that I and many others don't.

Have you verified the ISO before burning it?
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

mmortal03 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:28 am I've been able to reproduce it so far on three Windows 10 PCs running VirtualBox-6.1.34a-150636.
If you would like to figure out what's going wrong, please open your own thread in the Virtual Machines forum.
Your original mention of the problem was appropriate and topical, but this is turning into a hijack.

I'll be happy to help as much as I can, but in your own thread, please.
mmortal03
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mmortal03 »

JerryF wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:30 am Have you verified the ISO before burning it?
Yep.
pbear wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:44 am If you would like to figure out what's going wrong, please open your own thread in the Virtual Machines forum.
Your original mention of the problem was appropriate and topical, but this is turning into a hijack.

I'll be happy to help as much as I can, but in your own thread, please.
Here you go: viewtopic.php?f=231&t=376520
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: bitbyter's issue can now be found here Installer hangs after media codecs.

Return to “Installation & Boot”