I need to install windows - GRUB took over... (pics)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GNUNotUnix1349
Level 1
Level 1

I need to install windows - GRUB took over... (pics)

Post by GNUNotUnix1349 »

Hey all. I need to revert to Win 10 for some softwares. When I try and boot from the SSD (both SATA and USB) , flash drive it gives me loads of GRUB errors. Which doesn't make any sense because the SSD and flash don't have linux on them. I can boot Hive OS tho or mint. I had a problem a while ago with this and I can not remember what I did to fix it. Better yet is there a way to have both SATA drives installed with the option to boot into either win or mint from them individually?

Here are the 3 boot options followed by the error messages. I hope there is just a BIOS setting I am overlooking.

Image Image Image

TIA!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: I need to install windows - GRUB took over... (pics)

Post by kato181 »

Clicking on any of those pictures does nothing to enlarge them so we can actually see them.
Post them by using the insert image button above the text box.9th icon along.
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

kato181 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:55 am Clicking on any of those pictures does nothing to enlarge them so we can actually see them.
I'm sorry @OP I don't know the answer, other than to say have you tried booting into all of the boot options you get to see if you can get into the Windows one? Normally even if you have done what you've done, you can get back into Windows by booting into that drive from the BIOS.

Kato181, you can see the images enlarged if you right-click on them and select "open image in new tab".
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Boot Mint, connect that SSD/USB and post back following codes result.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxzr
sudo fdisk -l
sudo blkid
mokutil --sb-state
sudo efibootmgr -v

I'm not sure what you mean with "to revert to Win 10 for some softwares" . It is still installed you will be able to boot Windows from Mint´s GRUB menu so I suppose you have removed Windows but confirm, did you remove Windows or it is still installed?

What's that flash drive (P2 boot option I suppose) contents, i.e. is it a Windows installation media you have made from Windows ISO, a Windows recovery media,...? How did you create that flash drive, i.e. what's the tool you used?

In any case, JAJS600M128C is your SSD drive so P2 looks like a Legacy boot option. If it is a GPT/UEFI device it is logical it fails. Then that GRUB would be a second try because first failed and also fails (maybe if trying in Legacy mode or who knows why).

It is not clear for me your settings on here.

If you are trying to install (a new one) Windows in UEFI mode maybe that settings would be: Boot Mode selection [UEFI (only)], so Storage Boot Option control would be also [UEFI] not Legacy as it is. I can't see Security Options (because of OS Type menu) but, if it is the same as Secure Boot, needs to be [disabled].

Those settings are preferred on installing, recovering and/or restoring Windows or what ever other UEFI system.

Most probably you set OS type [other OS] in order to choose Mint (Ubuntu) by default in Hard drive BBS priorities, isn't it?

I think you don't need to change OS type to install Windows, but you can try as Nikolai5 indicated if those other proposed changes are not enough.

You do need to change Os type to Windows
if that USB drive is a Windows recovery media you have created to restore Windows installation or whole system to a previuos state (depending on the way you created it and its contents). Notice this would destroy those other systems on restoring in case they were not installed when you created that USB.

Also if Windows is still installed there will be a 400-500MB dedicated partition to start Windows Recovery environment from BIOS (if you can not boot Windows).

if that Windows was pre-installed on buying PC, also there will be a bigger, about 20GB System/BIOS Recovery partition to restore the whole system to a previous/original state (including EFI, Windows partitions,...).
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:20 am, edited 8 times in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

Nikolai5 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:13 am
kato181 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:55 am Clicking on any of those pictures does nothing to enlarge them so we can actually see them.
I'm sorry @OP I don't know the answer, other than to say have you tried booting into all of the boot options you get to see if you can get into the Windows one? Normally even if you have done what you've done, you can get back into Windows by booting into that drive from the BIOS.

Kato181, you can see the images enlarged if you right-click on them and select "open image in new tab".
Doesn't work with me..weird shows above the webpage
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

kato181 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:17 am Doesn't work with me..weird shows above the webpage
Those thumbnails are links to the web page with images so you need to right click on them>open in new tab as it is said.

I agree with you, that way of sharing is not ideal as we don't need to visit that or another web to see images. OP would use Attachments with images stored on computer so we don't get out forum if clicking on images to enlarge.

If OP doesn't want to resize image or want to upload to that page (or any other w/o publicity impressed) would use rimg or img forum options. Click on images to enlarge will open that web, but as you can see on my last post it is not needed.

I used rimg option and OP can do it easily in the same way. Once images are uploaded to that web right click on image> copy image link. Then in forum editor, paste that link where want to be placed (right click >Paste). Link would be selected on pasting. If it is not, select and then click on rimg button. That is all.
Screenshot from 2022-01-25 10-08-26.png
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Don't merge Linux / Windows on the same disk. Windows does not like GRUB, and Linux does not like Windows boot loader.

What works:
- Install Linux on a disk; remove it. Use another disk, put it in SATA0, install Windows.

- Now you can put your Linux disk on SATA0 and your Windows one on SATA1; then you can boot on your Linux disk and "sudo update-grub". At next boot, you will have the choice to boot on Windows or on Linux.

- Without updating GRUB, you can enter the setup of your computer (generally with ESC) and select the disk you want to boot on.

- On a desktop computer, you can install disks in removable caddies and insert the one you want before boot.

If your computer allows it (RAM enough, multi-core processor), you can also install a virtual machine software on your Linux system, such as VMware Workstation Player or VirtualBox, and then install Windows as a guest. You will be able to use both Mint and Windows at the same time, copy/paste from a system to another, share folders etc<;

Regards,

MN
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

I have been using Mint 17,18,19,20 with Windows 7,10,11 as dual boot on a single disk in my laptop. I never faced any issues. Only thing is Windows should be installed firat and then Mint. Both should be installed in BIOS or UEFI mode. Not mixed like one in BIOS and another in UEFI.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Installation & Boot”