Mint 20.3 Cinnamon won't boot without attached monitor

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bosseb
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 20.3 Cinnamon won't boot without attached monitor

Post by bosseb »

I am setting up a Linux box using:
- linuxmint-20.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso
- HP PRODESK 400 G4 Desktop Mini PC
- DELL monitor with DisplayPort

It is intended to be used on a remote location where it mostly will act as a server but occasionally also used as a desktop via TigerVNC.
It will not have a monitor attached, only accessed by SSH and VNC.

The router on the remote location connects my home LAN to the remote LAN so I can access everything there via the LAN.

While setting it up at home I have had the system hooked up to my monitor via DisplayPort (the only monitor connector on the PC).

I have configured it to automatically log in so that it gets to the desktop directly.
I also have set up TigerVNC on display :1 and verified that this works as well.
SSH server is enabled and I work on the system mainly via this using PuTTY on my Windows 10 laptop.

Now everything is set up like I want and I was testing how the box would handle being headless (monitor disconnected) like it will be in the final location.

Result:
It will not even boot!
There is no connection to it via the LAN, neither through PuTTY SSH nor VNC!

I have tried to figure this out to no avail!
What can I do to get the system running if the monitor is not present?

I have a dozen RaspberryPi units with VNC and these have no problem booting without an attached monitor so I can access them via VNC if needed.
Why does this not work with Mint on PC hardware?
Or: Can it be fixed somewhere?

Does this askubuntu thread apply to get the VNC display used?

EDIT1:
A different approach on techoverflow here, does that work on Mint?

EDIT2:
And here is a somewhat sketchy solution involving the use of a VGA adapter with resistors to fool Linux...
Not really what I want. But so far the only way I have found to make it possible to start my PC and get to the main screen via VNC...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 20.3 Cinnamon won't boot without attached monitor

Post by vimes666 »

If you do not like to make a plug yourself, you can also buy it ready made: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... g&_sacat=0
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.

Return to “Installation & Boot”