Failing to get dual boot screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kf1947
Level 1
Level 1

Failing to get dual boot screen

Post by Kf1947 »

Installed LM. Restarted and got dual boot menu. Booted to LM and was getting ready to look at settings. Daughter came in to my home office and asked me to make a shirt using a viynl design and cutting program. Decided to do it in Win10 since I didn't have anything set up yet in LM. Restarted and got dual boot menu. Chose Win10 and worked there for about an hour. Restarted and no dual boot menu. Tried several things suggested by an internet search. No luck. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Failing to get dual boot screen

Post by ZakGordon »

Win 10 will always want to 'take-over' your dual-boot setup, unless you have set it up specifically to not be able to do so (installs live on different hard-drives etc).

Unless people pop in with Linux specific stuff to fix things, i'd have a look in your Bios settings (you might find a boot order thing you can adjust perhaps) or look to find whatever your specific computers F key is to provide boot choice on first boot up. By that i mean on my PC when i press power on i tap F11 slowly during boot up to get into my dual-boot up menu, and you probably have a key like that setup to do the same (it might not be F11 though). Kind of like how using F8 on most windows PC's will give you that 'boot into safe mode' option.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Failing to get dual boot screen

Post by AndyMH »

I would echo zakgordon's comments, win has put itself back at the top of your BIOS boot list. You need to get into BIOS and move it down the list with 'ubuntu' top of the list. This may have happened as the result of an automatic update in win - turn off automatic updates.

Another suggestion - if you want mint to be able to read/write your win partitions, e.g. C:, then turn off fast start in win. With it enabled (the default), win never really shuts down and leaves all win filesystems in a locked state = read-only to linux.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Installation & Boot”