[Resolved] Fresh install from 19.3 to 20.3

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

[Resolved] Fresh install from 19.3 to 20.3

Post by jazz.h »

Hello!
I have Mint Mate 19.3 on my SSD, in a Windows PC dual boot.
I want to install Mate 20.3 now. I have separate root and home partition (endrypted home folder).
I understand I should install 20.3 with root mount point at the same partition with flag format, and pointing home to existing home partition without format.
Would that be OK?
Whats the best way to backing up the home folder before this action, clonezilla which will back ap encrypted, or simple copy paste home dir to external ext4 drive when existing Mate is running?
Furthermore, I would like to remove home encryption in the future, is that possible? Maybe copy clear home contents first to a separate drive, then fresh installl 20.3 with format of home partition, then paste old home to new home?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Fresh install from 19.3 to 20.3

Post by mikeflan »

I understand I should install 20.3 with root mount point at the same partition with flag format, and pointing home to existing home partition without format.
Would that be OK?
That sounds right to me, but you might want to wait for more informed advice.
Whats the best way to backing up the home folder before this action, clonezilla which will back ap encrypted, or simple copy paste home dir to external ext4 drive when existing Mate is running?
I would do both. I think Clonezilla is best.
I would like to remove home encryption in the future, is that possible?
I don't know, but I suspect yes.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

jazz.h wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:15 pm Hello!
I have Mint Mate 19.3 on my SSD, in a Windows PC dual boot.
I want to install Mate 20.3 now. I have separate root and home partition (encrypted home folder).
-----
Would that be OK?
Definitely, you do NOT want to format your current /home partition, you will loose every thing if you do.

You will need a backup for sure, I much Prefer Foxclone, but YMMV,
why? Foxclone does NOT copy empty blocks, and compresses the backup Image a tiny bit.

Furthermore, I would like to remove home encryption in the future, is that possible? Maybe copy clear home contents first to a separate drive, then fresh install 20.3 with format of home partition, then paste old home to new home?
Yes, but you will need to use something like LuckyBackup to backup your /home folders to an extUSB drive.
that will remove the Encryption so that they are now in an open Format that NEMO can read.

Once you have VERIFIED that LuckyBackup is readable by NEMO,
then you can do a Fresh Install and format your current /home partition as ext4

Once that is done, and 20.3 is fully updated,
then install Luckybackup again, and restore your /home folders.

this is precisely what I did 3 weeks ago.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

mikeflan wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:32 am I would do both. I think Clonezilla is best.
Clonezilla did it, once I got rid of encryption :)
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:22 pm Once that is done, and 20.3 is fully updated,
then install Luckybackup again, and restore your /home folders.
I got rid off encryption somehow, so I'll install with home unformatted now. Thx. :D
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

I did as planned, all up and running 20.3, thank you all guys ! :D
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

jazz.h wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:07 pm I did as planned, all up and running 20.3, thank you all guys ! :D
Please go to your 1st post, click on Edit, and add [ Resolved ]
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Resolved] Fresh install from 19.3 to 20.3

Post by jazz.h »

I did :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”