Errors from new external hard drive. [solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mwshook
Level 2
Level 2

Errors from new external hard drive. [solved]

Post by mwshook »

fstab.txt
(950 Bytes) Downloaded 8 times
I just plugged in a brand new 4 TB USB Western Digital Mybook external hard drive.

It came formatted in exfat and seems to work fine. I can read and write to it, at least.

But when I boot it produces these error messages and adds 2 minutes to the boot time. Again, it seems to work fine so I don't think the errors are critical. But it's annoying. I couldn't find these messages in /var/logs/syslog or /var/logs/kern.log, so I just snapped a picture. There was an additional error at 127 seconds but I didn't capture it. I tried to copy and paste my inxi and /etc/fstab but must be setting off a spam filter or something.

Again, it seems to read and write fine, so maybe this isn't a big problem. But it adds 2 minutes to boot. Would reformatting to ext4 help? I wasn't planning on it, in case I ever wanted to use it on a different machine. But I'm willing to do that if recommended.

Thanks.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux newbie since 1997
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Errors from new external hard drive.

Post by Termy »

I'm looking this up now, and found this page:

https://forums.centos.org/viewtopic.php ... 4&p=114992

A post thereon suggests that your USB might be the old 1.1. Someone said the solution to their problem was to remove a USB NIC they had plugged in. Look into that, perhaps? I'm not sure why USB 1.1 would cause these errors/warnings, but perhaps that other user's NIC was conflicting with their other USB port or something, hence why removing the NIC fixed it. Just a shot in the dark.

Looking here:

https://linux-usb.vger.kernel.narkive.c ... -error-110

Someone suggests that the USB interface could be malfunctioning (either in Linux or in general) so to try a different USB port. Worth a try? They suggested that you try plugging it into a different computer, which is a good way to rule out a fault with the drive or USB cable.

These are old posts, but hey, it's better than nothing.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
mwshook
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Errors from new external hard drive.

Post by mwshook »

It's a USB 3.0 device plugged into a USB 3.0 PCI expansion card. I didn't mention I have another older USB 3.0 hard drive plugged into that card. It's ext4 and works without problems. Also plugged into the card is a Logitech headset and a wireless mouse dongle.

In fstab, the 2 USB drives have the same settings. I'm going to reformat the new one to ext4 since that's the only variable. I can always change it back if the problem persists. Best to figure all this out before I start putting data on it.

Relevant fstab section:

Code: Select all

/dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x5000cca22cd8b968-part1 /mnt/3tb auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-WD_My_Book_25ED_575833324435313856463159-0:0-part1 /mnt/4tb auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
Linux newbie since 1997
mwshook
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Errors from new external hard drive. [solved]

Post by mwshook »

I formatted to ext4 with no change.
I was reading this thread and maybe it's a problem with the disk powering up. The power is from a power brick plugged into a power strip, not from the USB bus in the thread. Maybe the disk takes a couple of minutes to initialize.

In any case, I'm not planning on putting anything on it that's not backed up on another machine. I will just make sure to be dilligent about the backups and hope for the best. I'm going to mark this as solved, since I don't expect to make any more progress, and the problem is non-critical.
Linux newbie since 1997

Return to “Installation & Boot”