I messed up my partitions and need help

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nemohh
Level 1
Level 1

I messed up my partitions and need help

Post by nemohh »

So, it all started last week with me trying to DualBoot my Windows 10 with the new Ubuntu release.
To be short, I messed up everything and couldn't retrieve my Windows 10 partition, so I ended up back to Linux Mint, now I wanted to dual boot it alongside Win10 but the partition data is confuse. It seems that I've created an extended partition and installed Linux over it. How can I get some space to install Windows without any conflicts in my situation? Please, I need help!

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I messed up my partitions and need help

Post by rene »

The 512M sda1 partition you see is a Ubuntu/Mint installer bug; an ESP is only applicable to a UEFI/GPT install but you have a Legacy one there.

In any case -- it's not advised to install a dual-boot with Windows later/last; Windows will take over booting control and you wouldn't be able to boot into Linux any more until you "manually" fix things again, something which you'd be supposedly not comfortable with. You'd preferably first install Windows onto an empty disk, then Linux. Through the Windows installer you can delete the existing partitions; unless you know what you're doing it's best to let Windows then do its thing simply by letting it install to the then "unassigned space", i.e., the entire disk. After, you shrink the (main) Windows partition down through its own Disk Management to make some room for Linux and then install Linux alongside.

The fact that you've now created a MBR-install means you booted the installer system in legacy mode -- but given that you also seem to have a system with a 500G spinner there you might not have a UEFI-capable system. In any case; if you let Windows go first it'll arrange for what's needed. Be sure to boot the Windows and later Linux Live/Installer USB in UEFI-mode if you do have that option.

But in any case then; best to start with Windows...
nemohh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nemohh »

Got it. I'll follow your advice. Thanks a lot!
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Thing is, to work around the installer bug rene mentions, you're going to have to install manually. That is a bit complicated for a Linux newcomer, so do some research before attempting it. Unfortunately, while I know how to do it, I don't know of any good and simple tutorials. Meanwhile, though, you will at least have your Windows system back.

Frankly, the best solution might be to try a different version of Linux, one not based on Ubuntu. MX Linux is very good.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Just to be clear though, said Ubuntu installer bug doesn't in fact matter functionally in the end (and wasn't the point here). You need not concern yourself with it if you don't want to.
nemohh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nemohh »

pbear wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:50 pm Thing is, to work around the installer bug rene mentions, you're going to have to install manually. That is a bit complicated for a Linux newcomer, so do some research before attempting it. Unfortunately, while I know how to do it, I don't know of any good and simple tutorials. Meanwhile, though, you will at least have your Windows system back.

Frankly, the best solution might be to try a different version of Linux, one not based on Ubuntu. MX Linux is very good.
You mean after I get Windows back? Because I was planning to go back to Windows and once there install Mint again and let is as a Dual Boot as the other guy suggested me.
binar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by binar »

I used Gparted myself to fix my boot partition error problem. I ended up losing all my data. I suggest you first figure out a way to extract all of your data from your hard drive before doing any writing to the hard drive using Gparted. Below is the link to my thread:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=373914&p=2176917#p2176917
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

nemohh wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:31 pm You mean after I get Windows back? Because I was planning to go back to Windows and once there install Mint again and let is as a Dual Boot as the other guy suggested me.
On reflection, I think you should do as rene suggested: Reinstall Windows then reinstall Mint using the automatic method. The worst that will happen is that Mint might not work, in which event we can discuss alternatives.

Return to “Installation & Boot”