Trying to install Mint 20.3 in dual boot leads me to a black screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RF1976
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to install Mint 20.3 in dual boot leads me to a black screen

Post by RF1976 »

Hi friends!

I have a brand new Acer Aspire A515-45G. It comes with windows 11 and I would like to install Linux Mint 20.3 Mate using Dual Boot.

So, i do the first steps like:

- Download the .iso file, check integrity, etc.
- Create the boot pendrive (using Etcher)
- Create a new partition (using windows)
- Disable "Secure Boot" on Bios.

Then, I boot the machine using the pen drive and I choose the first option (to install Mint).

Almost immediately I get this:

Then, the screen goes black with a blinking prompt BEFORE any installation.

Could you please help me on that? I am not an expert, so I would really appreciate if you could help me patiently ... ;-)

Kid Regards,

Rod
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Trying to install Mint 20.3 in dual boot leads me to a black screen

Post by pbear »

First image produces an error code. The second looks like this:

What I've done there is open the link, copy the IMAGE location, then paste that between rimg tags.

Please boot the live session again, then retrieve and post your system information per 'how to get help' sticky at top of the page.
RF1976
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RF1976 »

Hi @pbear ! Thank you for your reply!

This is the system information:
AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics, 1801 Mhz, 8 Núcleo(s), 16 Processador(es) Lógico(s)
BIOS UEFI
RAM 8,00 GB
64Bit
Graphics AMD RadeonT RX 640
512GB SSD

I have read at least 50 posts in many different forums, but I can´t solve my problem.

In Grub, I chose to run Mint 20.3 in order to install it. There is the error above (the only one image I attached). The green Mint Logo appears at the center of the screen for about 15 seconds and then there is this black screen with the blinking prompt.

Reading other posts, I found out some possibilities, but as I wrote before, I am not an expert and so I don´t have a clue on what to do.

1- My hardware is too "new" (on the market) and because of that, maybe I should "downgrade" the Kernel version.
2- AMD RadeonT RX 640 should be deactivated in order to install Linux Mint
3- Maybe there is a discrepancy between Bios in "UEFI" or "Legacy" mode.

Anyway ... if you could suggest something or even send me a link that leads me to an article or other post, I would be glad to read.

Thank you very much!

Rod.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

If you think the problem is that your hardware is too new, the usual advice is to try the Edge ISO.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

RF1976 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:40 pmThis is the system information:
AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics, 1801 Mhz, 8 Núcleo(s), 16 Processador(es) Lógico(s)
BIOS UEFI
RAM 8,00 GB
64Bit
Graphics AMD RadeonT RX 640
512GB SSD
Welcome to the forum, Rod.

I would like to make a clarification to your listing which may help you understand the situation. Your computer does not have AMD RadeonT RX 640 graphics. It has both AMD onboard graphics and AMD RadeonT RX 640. The default is to use the onboard graphics, but your hardware is too new to get graphics with the 5.4 kernel.
RF1976 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:40 pmIn Grub, I chose to run Mint 20.3 in order to install it.
Did you choose to run it in Compatibility Mode? If you did and it still would not boot, you need to upgrade to a newer kernel such as the 5.13 kernel on the Linux Mint 20.3 "Una" - Cinnamon (Edge) ISO . (13 > 4 so 5.13 is newer than 5.4.)

If you are able to boot in compatibility mode so you can install LM20.3 MATE, when you reboot you will need to boot in recovery mode so you can get into the system and upgrade to the 5.13 kernel so you can get the necessary graphics drivers.

Let us know if you can boot in Compatibility mode.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
RF1976
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RF1976 »

Hi @SMG ! Thank you so much for your reply! :-)
SMG wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:40 pm I would like to make a clarification to your listing which may help you understand the situation. Your computer does not have AMD RadeonT RX 640 graphics. It has both AMD onboard graphics and AMD RadeonT RX 640. The default is to use the onboard graphics, but your hardware is too new to get graphics with the 5.4 kernel.
Ok! I Got it!
SMG wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:40 pm Did you choose to run it in Compatibility Mode?
Yes. Actually, in my first attempt I have inserted the pendrive (with mint 20.3 Mate .iso file, created with Etcher) into the USB port, and I had chosen to run mint in order to install it in the computer, but the green Mint logo had appeared for 15 seconds and then there was this black screen with the blinking prompt BEFORE any sort of installation.
So, in my second attempt, I inserted the same pendrive into the USB port and I choose to run mint in compatibility mode. So I was able to install it in the computer, but I couldn't run it because after every reboot the same black screen appears.
SMG wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:40 pm If you are able to boot in compatibility mode so you can install LM20.3 MATE, when you reboot you will need to boot in recovery mode so you can get into the system and upgrade to the 5.13 kernel so you can get the necessary graphics drivers.
Yes, it is only possible to run Mint (the real one, installed in SSD in compatibility mode) using Recovery Mode, but I suppose I can not connect to internet because network drivers seem to be disabled in recovery mode.
As I wrote before I am a tech beginner (and I a sorry for that). Could you please explain to me how to upgrade to the 5.13 kernel once I can't connect to internet using recovery mode?
SMG wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:40 pm If you did and it still would not boot, you need to upgrade to a newer kernel such as the 5.13 kernel on the Linux Mint 20.3 "Una" - Cinnamon (Edge) ISO .
Should format Linux partitions and do the same installation process again (from the beginning) but using this specific .iso file this time?

Sorry for any inconvenience and thanks a lot,

Rod.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

RF1976 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:24 pm Yes, it is only possible to run Mint (the real one, installed in SSD in compatibility mode) using Recovery Mode, but I suppose I can not connect to internet because network drivers seem to be disabled in recovery mode.
Usually, network drivers are not disabled in Recovery Mode. It is possible, however, the network drivers your hardware needs are not in the 5.4 kernel.

When you boot into the grub menu and go to Advanced Options and then select the kernel with (recovery mode) after it, is the resume option the top one on the next menu? Sometimes it is for people and sometimes it is not. I think the difference depends on how well the kernel drivers match with the hardware.
RF1976 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:24 pm Could you please explain to me how to upgrade to the 5.13 kernel once I can't connect to internet using recovery mode?
Some people are able to get a connection with their cell phone how to create a temporary internet connection with your cell phone . If you are able to make that connection, here are the instructions for updating the kernel.

Instructions for upgrading to the 5.13 kernel:
  • Open Update Manager.
  • Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue.
  • Make sure 5.13 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear.
  • Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active.
RF1976 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:24 pm
SMG wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:40 pm If you did and it still would not boot, you need to upgrade to a newer kernel such as the 5.13 kernel on the Linux Mint 20.3 "Una" - Cinnamon (Edge) ISO .
Should format Linux partitions and do the same installation process again (from the beginning) but using this specific .iso file this time?
If you are not able to get the kernel upgraded, then, yes, this would be starting over and you would use the same process you did for this current install, but use the ISO in the link I gave you.

I would think you should be able to boot to a live session of Linux Mint without having to use Compatibility Mode with the Edge ISO.
RF1976
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RF1976 »

Hi, @SMG !
SMG wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:40 pm Some people are able to get a connection with their cell phone how to create a temporary internet connection with your cell phone . If you are able to make that connection, here are the instructions for updating the kernel.

Instructions for upgrading to the 5.13 kernel:
Open Update Manager.
Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue.
Make sure 5.13 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear.
Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active.
I made both (connected to the internet using my cell phone and Upgraded to 5.13 kernel) and I could run Mint successfully, thank you!
I have also upgraded all the drivers using the Driver Manager.

Just one more question, if you please:

There is a huge list of updates available in Update Manager, and in between there are two Kernel updates available:

Linux Kernel 5.13.0.41.46~20.04.26
and
Linux Kernel 5.4.0-110.124

Should I upgrade both or I should never upgrade the last one?

Kind regards,

Rod.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I would not upgrade this kernel - remove the tick against it.

When you have finished upgrading & have restarted to use the latest 5.13 kernel, then I would open Update Manager & select the View Tab, Linux Kernels.
Select the 5.4 tab & then Select to remove any 5.4 kernels that are shown as Installed. (If you mouse click on them you will be given the option to remove).
Once you have removed all installed 5.4 kernels you should, in future, not be notified of any kernel changes in that range.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

So, i do the first steps like:

- Download the .iso file, check integrity, etc.
- Create the boot pendrive (using Etcher)
- Create a new partition (using windows)
- Disable "Secure Boot" on Bios.
I recommend you also boot into windows and disable faststartup:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disa ... st-startup
viewtopic.php?p=2067102#p2067102
https://fosspost.org/prepare-your-pc-fo ... cure-boot/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdLcJLKEMbY
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

RF1976 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:28 pmThere is a huge list of updates available in Update Manager, and in between there are two Kernel updates available:

Linux Kernel 5.13.0.41.46~20.04.26
and

Should I upgrade both or I should never upgrade the last one?
As long as you have at least one kernel installed of a specific kernel series, you will receive update notices for it. Because your system needs the 5.13 to get the proper graphics, I suggest following RIH's advice and removing the installed 5.4 kernels.

We advice keeping the current kernel and one older kernel (in case you would need to revert back to it). If you do not have two 5.13 kernels currently installed, then install a second one so you have a back-up when you remove the 5.4 kernels.

When you have a kernel installed, the middle column on the kernel listing will indicate either "Active" or "Installed".
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

RF1976 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:28 pmI made both (connected to the internet using my cell phone and Upgraded to 5.13 kernel) and I could run Mint successfully, thank you!
Please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title so others with a similar issue will know there is a solution in this topic.

Return to “Installation & Boot”