System Crashes after pushing any key on new laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tommyh
Level 1
Level 1

System Crashes after pushing any key on new laptop

Post by tommyh »

Trying to install Mint 20.3 on new laptop. Actually, installing isn't the issue; installation seems to go smoothly until I get to the login screen and as soon as I hit any key the whole system crashes and turns off. Tried to change any/all UEFI settings, same result. Tried reinstalling with XFCE, Cinnamon, same result. Tried Mint 20.1, crash. Tried Debian 11, same result. Tried booting in compatibility mode, same. This makes me believe that it is a hardware compatibility issue, but I am not a power user by any stretch so I admit that I am ignorant about these things. Have installed Mint on multiple other devices so I am at least confident that I can do a basic install correctly. Can't find anybody else having this specific issue on any device, much less on this specific machine.

Hardware:

ASUS ROG Strix Scar 17 G733
AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
32GB DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM RAM
RTX 3080
PCIE Bus:4 Dev:0 Func:0 NVME SSD

I would use the terminal to get more specific specs, but not until I can actually get to a terminal.

Hoping to use as a desktop replacement work station but not until I can actually get into an OS.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: System Crashes after pushing any key on new laptop

Post by RIH »

You have new equipment there.
It might be better if you try with the Cinnamon Edge version of Mint.
It comes with the 5.13 kernel installed (rather than the 5.4). That might stand a better chance of managing your system..
tommyh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tommyh »

Cinnamon edge worked! Thanks a ton.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Good that it worked. Please mark it solved as per my signature below.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Installation & Boot”