How to make live Windows 8 bootable DVD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Warriorjacq 9
Level 1
Level 1

How to make live Windows 8 bootable DVD

Post by Warriorjacq 9 »

I am running Linux Mint 20.3 Una, and I am trying to create a bootable live DVD that runs Windows 8 without installing it. I have found several articles on how to do this with Windows 10, on Windows 10. Is there a way to do this with Windows 8 in Linux Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I use an Inspiron 530a and love upgrading it.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to make live Windows 8 bootable DVD

Post by pbear »

Don't know whether it will work, but worth a try. Install Xfburn from Software Manager. Try burning the ISO to DVD with that. Please report back, so we know whether it worked.
Warriorjacq 9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Warriorjacq 9 »

I have just now tried that. When I burn the iso (which I got here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... indows8ISO) and boot from the dvd, it gives me an installation screen, and no live session.
I use an Inspiron 530a and love upgrading it.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Warriorjacq 9 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:53 am I have just now tried that. When I burn the iso (which I got here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... indows8ISO) and boot from the dvd, it gives me an installation screen, and no live session.
Microsoft has never offered a live session. To get it, you need to burn a disk with Windows running installed, along with the boot sector. To keep the disk from becoming 40GB, you will also need to remove a lot of stuff from the running system, which requires a lot of knowledge and specialized software. It would probably also require manually adding some files before burning the disk. All in all, it's a fairly complicated process that's not for everyone. I personally wouldn't try it, despite my involvement with computers since 1983.
Warriorjacq 9 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:48 pm I am running Linux Mint 20.3 Una, and I am trying to create a bootable live DVD that runs Windows 8 without installing it. I have found several articles on how to do this with Windows 10, on Windows 10. Is there a way to do this with Windows 8 in Linux Mint?
If your machine is powerful enough, install VirtualBox and install Windows on it. It may not run completely smoothly, but it will still do some work. In any case, I guarantee that you won't be able to work on Autocad. I keep a Windows 8.1 just for the sake of it, because I work as a designer and have nothing to replace Autocad with. As long as I'm working, I'll be married to Microsoft. :lol:
Last edited by diabolicbg on Thu May 19, 2022 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Warriorjacq 9 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:53 am ... it gives me an installation screen, and no live session.
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. If unable to find a path to your original plan, you might consider running Win8 in VirtualBox.

Return to “Installation & Boot”