copy linux mint to another laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Newbie9
Level 1
Level 1

copy linux mint to another laptop

Post by Newbie9 »

Hi Guys,
I am running Linux Mint on an old laptop and wish to change it for a new one, what is the best way to copy everything and transfer it to another laptop via a usb stick.
I am using a Acer Aspire laptop now but looking at a dell Inspiron 16.

Thanks Newie 9
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
adrolmar
Level 1
Level 1

Re: copy linux mint to another laptop

Post by adrolmar »

Hi,
If you want to transfer just your personal files, just copy them to USB stick (using CLI or just GUI). Otherwise, maybe it won't be that easy and reliable to make a DD image and burn it on the destination PC disk, as each PC has different hardware (and thus they'd load different kernel modules) :?
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

I think you can use "Timeshift" to do a complete backup of your system to a USB drive and then boot up your new system with a thumb drive with LM 20.3. When it boots up do not install but go to "Timeshift" and restore the system from the other thumb drive.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Newbie9 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:29 pm I am using a Acer Aspire laptop now but looking at a dell Inspiron 16.
How easy this will be depends on how similar the hardware. If both use UEFI and neither requires special drivers, not bad. Otherwise, possible but complicated. I've written two demonstrations of how to do this, one for Timeshift and the other for rsync. For the latter, if you can't transfer directly to the Dell hard drive, you could two the transfer in two stages, out to a USB drive then in to the Dell.

Aptik is another option. I've not used but it gets good reviews. Only use the paid version, the free one hasn't been updated in years.

Alternatively, bite the bullet and reinstall. Has the advantage of clearing out unneeded and unused cruft. I know, you don't remember everything you did to set up the current system. Rummage around, you'll find most of it. Take good notes. Next time you need to reinstall, it'll be easier.
Newbie9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newbie9 »

Thanks for your reply, i will have a look at the options you have given. Not heard of Aptik but will look anyway i think i will most likely go the download a fresh mint install onto USB stick and copy files over i need or i may even try another distro.

Again thanks for your valued advice

Newbie9

Return to “Installation & Boot”