Perform MOK management on first boot after install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
XP-refugee
Level 2
Level 2

Perform MOK management on first boot after install

Post by XP-refugee »

I did a fresh install of LM 20.3 XFCE

On first boot it shows a page headed "Perform MOK management".
The installation guide doesn't mention this step.
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... en/latest/

A quick search of forums and google doesn't show how to proceed.

If anyone knowledgeable in this area could provide cookbook style recipe instructions suitable to a low-skilled user I would be grateful.

Edit: Guide issue lodged at https://gitlab.com/linuxmint/documentat ... /issues/27
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Perform MOK management on first boot after install

Post by pbear »

My recipe for solving the problem is simple: Disable secure boot. Not utterly worthless, but not worth the trouble.

As I've never performed MOK management, I can't tell you how. I refer you to three resources, though. First is the Ubuntu wiki on Secure Boot, which among other things explains how MOKs fit into the picture. Second is a Unix & Linux thread which includes a good concise explanation of how MOK works. Third is an askubuntu thread with screenshots of how to enroll the installation MOK.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

To add: it's not hard to deal with MOK. I sometimes forget to disable Secure Boot before doing an installation of Mint, so I come across this aggravation from time to time (sigh....).

I then create this MOK key: 123456789. This makes it easy upon rebooting, when you're twice required to enter a particular character of your MOK key. For example, when you're asked for the 6th character of that key, it's simply.... 6. Can't make any mistakes with that. :mrgreen:

Can't help wondering what bs job holder had the brilliant idea to introduce this sh*tty little annoyance.... I bet he was rewarded with a handsome bonus.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

XP-refugee wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:15 am I did a fresh install of LM 20.3 XFCE

On first boot it shows a page headed "Perform MOK management".
That page comes from your hardware. The operating system (Linux Mint) does not control MOK. The computer's firmware (UEFI/BIOS) controls it. It is not part of the operating system which is why it is not part of the Linux Mint installation guide. Additionally, not every manufacturer handles it the same way.

I suggest you check the links pbear has provided and please also check with whoever made your computer to get information on how to address it.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
XP-refugee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by XP-refugee »

Thanks people.

Your work here will help the next hapless wanderer confronted by MOK.

I had to shut down the PC before addressing MOK.
When I rebooted it didn't appear.
Maybe I'm living in yet another fool's paradise but things seem OK for now.

If the Guide had a "Disable Secure boot" instruction then I missed it.
If the Guide is meant for naive low-skilled users then it needs to address screens like Perform MOK management.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

XP-refugee wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:48 pmIf the Guide had a "Disable Secure boot" instruction then I missed it.
One does not need to disable Secure Boot to install Linux Mint so there is no need to have it in the instructions.
XP-refugee wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:48 pmIf the Guide is meant for naive low-skilled users then it needs to address screens like Perform MOK management.
Just how many steps not related to the operating system do you think the guide should cover? Tuning off Secure Boot is part of the BIOS/UEFI which is part of the hardware. Whoever made your hardware should be providing the instructions for Secure Boot and MOK. Contact them for instructions.
XP-refugee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by XP-refugee »

Further examination appears to shows that Secure Boot was switched off.

I think I have a far better idea of what naive low-skilled users need than you do. Unfortunately, as they say, "It's my lived experience".
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

SMG wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:49 am One does not need to disable Secure Boot to install Linux Mint so there is no need to have it in the instructions.
I highly recommend to disable it in all cases. It's at best useless, and usually a bloody annoyance.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

XP-refugee wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:42 am Further examination appears to shows that Secure Boot was switched off.
You must have done that later. The installer would not have invoked the MOK procedure if secure boot had already been disabled. Perhaps the system disabled secure boot when you didn't respond to the MOK prompt, although that's the opposite of how it should work.
I think I have a far better idea of what naive low-skilled users need than you do.
FWIW, I agree with you. I've always thought the Installation Guide is too thin, and now rather old. Unfortunately, thin documentation is typical of Linux. It's a shoestring operation, where everyone working on it has too much to do and not enough time. Perhaps this makes Linux not a good fit for you - it's not a good fit for most people, imho - but it is what it is.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

XP-refugee wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:42 am Further examination appears to shows that Secure Boot was switched off.
Enabling or disabling Secure Boot can on be done by the user in the BIOS/UEFI. It can not be changed through the operating system.
XP-refugee wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:42 amI think I have a far better idea of what naive low-skilled users need than you do. Unfortunately, as they say, "It's my lived experience".
I believe you have an idea of what you need.

I think it is unlikely you have an idea of what others who are new might need because it is unlikely you have experience helping others who are new given your professed "lived experience". I have several decades of tech education experience and much to most of it is with people without much tech background.

There is limited opportunity to "personalize" and keep updated instructions when the audience is world-wide and the skill level varies widely. What might help you would only confuse others when giving details which may not apply to their situation. I've seen that happen many times. That is one of the reasons we ask people to create their own topics on the forum--they get personalized feedback appropriate to their level of understanding.
XP-refugee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by XP-refugee »

I first failed installing Linux around 94.
And kept failing every 3 years or so through to around 2017 when Linux setup and the cookbook instructions available meant I could proceed being almost completely ignorant.

Hopefully this thread will help those who stare at the Perform MOK maintenance screen and think, "Maybe I'll stay with XP a bit longer."

Return to “Installation & Boot”