Linux mint 20.3 want to install win 7 on nvme partition ext 2

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
VicM
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint 20.3 want to install win 7 on nvme partition ext 2

Post by VicM »

Hi, I just bought a Asus Tuf computer, it originally had Win 11, I installed Linux Mint 20.3 as a dual boot and somehow if removed to Windows 11 registration and I couldn't work out how to activate it. I decided to install Linux Mint and to dual boot with Windows 7 at the moment, however I cannot get the UEFI to allow a Live Boot it gets the Window 7 to install it opens it up and shows Windows on the screen and the machine goes into hypermode drive going like mad and nothing seems to happen. I have a screenshot of how the drive is partitioned but can't see how to attach.
Please help. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Linux mint 20.3 want to install win 7 on nvme partition ext 2

Post by pbear »

VicM wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:07 amI have a screenshot of how the drive is partitioned but can't see how to attach.
Click the pencil icon on your first post. Notice the Attachments tab below the text entry window. This will permit you to attach images up to 200MB 200KB (I think that's the limit). Larger than that you would have to upload to an image hosting service and link with rimg tags.

I'm quite sure you can reinstall Win11 if you somehow inadvertently removed it when installing Mint. The license is hard-coded into the machine (on the motherboard, IIRC). Have you tried researching the question?

Don't know whether you can install Win7 on that machine, but would expect the hardware is too advanced. Again, though, this is a Windows question.

[Edit to fix typo, thanks Andy.]
Last edited by pbear on Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

It's 200kB not 200MB :D

Your other alternative would be to run win7 in a VM, which is what I do.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

If you had previously installed Windows 11 on the same PC, and you activated it by providing a Windows 11 product key, then your new Windows 11 will be automatically activated for free. You won't need the original product key, because Microsoft already knows......

You can download a fresh copy of W11 here (there is a Windows-only tool to burn the iso to a bootable usb, also):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows11

If you never registered the original W11 install, you can choose NOT to activate Windows 11. It will still be fully functional, but you will get some nags.
After 90 days Windows 11 starts and keeps showing an “Activate Windows” watermark in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
Personalization options from the Settings app won't work for as long as Windows 11 is not activated (wallpaper, etc).
You get some unobtrusive notifications inside the Settings, telling you that your Windows 11 isn't activated, and recommendations that you purchase a Windows 11 product key.

And, as AndyMH mentions, you can install VirtualBox and then W7 as a virtual machine. Otherwise, you will likely run into some driver issues because there are no W7 drivers for your new hardware. The VB virtual drivers will avoid that.
VicM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VicM »

Hi All, thanks very much for your contributions looks like Win 7 is out so will have to rethink that.
I am still very much a newbie with Linux. I actually tried to boot from Live USB Win10 1909 but still got the same problem with booting to setup Windows on the partition 2. Do I have erase the drive install Windows 10 or 11 and then Install Linux as the dual boot? I am not sure why it removed the Win 11 registration in the first instance, so again confused.
So still don't have an answer to the problem.
Virtual might work for Win 7 how do I load an accounting package that will only run on Windows through Virtual Box? I am not sure if the accounting package will work with the newer Windows versions.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Windows 11 will be digitally activated to your Microsoft Account if you created one, so if you reinstall again choose the option I do not have a product key. As soon as you enter your email and password to add back your Microsoft Account in the setup wizard it will retrieve the activation from there.

Also what accounting package? It may be possible to run it via wine as it is old enough to want windows 7. The command below will install wine properly for Mint 20.3

apt install wine-installer
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
VicM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VicM »

Hi, I bought the computer with Win 11 on it and I didn't setup a microsoft account. The accounts package is Reckon Quickbooks updated to 2013 version. Thanks

Return to “Installation & Boot”