Upgrading Linux Mint 20

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
historygirllfc22
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Upgrading Linux Mint 20

Post by historygirllfc22 »

Apologies I meant in the bios so I hit delete key to access that which works and I can navigate through bios fine. But when it gets login screen I'm unable to type in my password keyboard doesn't work I'm at a loss as to why.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

To my understanding:
You try to enter your password in the password field. There should bullets appear for every sign, that you entered, but do not get bullets. Is my understanding correct?

Do a test: Press ctrl-alt-f1. Does this do anything for you? If yes, you can return to the login screen with alt-left_cursor.
historygirllfc22
Level 1
Level 1

Yes that's it boots fine get to login screen but unable to enter password. Neither my laptop keyboard tracking pad or mouse works.

Unfortunately ctrl+alt+f1 does nothing. I did try plugging in an external keyboard via USB and nothing there either.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Reboot and hold immediately after powering on the left shift-key, this should give the grub menu. Go into the advanced menu and launch the recovery mode. This will at first give you the recovery menu. Simply press enter to continue booting; the difference is, that the graphics driver to not get loaded. I cannot tell, if they are responsible for your problem, but it is worth a try.
historygirllfc22
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately that didnt work pressing ESC I can get to minimal grub menu but all I can see is:

Code: Select all

grub>
So no options for anything I've no idea about what commands to use. Is there a way to boot into safe mode?

I'm going to have to do a fresh install aren't I
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Unfortunately using the shift-key for opening the grub menu does not work on all machines.

What you see is the command line. Press ESC once more.
historygirllfc22
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks I appreciate the reply. I've tried pressing most of the keys including ESC nothing happens. Pressing TAB gives me a bunch of possible commands but I don't know what half of them mean I think at this point I'll may just do a fresh install as I'm not getting anywhere
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If booting the live system is still an option for you (I was not aware of this), than you can launch Timeshift from there, point to the partition with your snapshots and restore the system to a time, where the problem was not yet there.
historygirllfc22
Level 1
Level 1

Ah yes of course good point I'll try that thanks.

Return to “Installation & Boot”