Problem with efi partition -- Is there a way to increase the size of the /boot partition?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gummybeartech
Level 1
Level 1

Problem with efi partition -- Is there a way to increase the size of the /boot partition?

Post by gummybeartech »

Is there a way to increase the size of the /boot partition? These partitions fill up relatively quickly with new kernels, and it would be easier to support users if the partition were much larger. NB: We always use full disk encryption
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Problem with efi partition -- Is there a way to increase the size of the /boot partition?

Post by gittiest personITW »

Welcome to the forums.

If you load up Live Mint (DVD/USB) you'll be able to resize any partitions using GParted.

Chances are that Timeshift is the reason you may be running out of space.
If that is the case, have you got another drive you can save the snapshots to? You can create an EXT4 partition on an external drive if you need to.
This will save you a whole lot of grief anyway and is better for backups/snapshots anyway.

If you would like someone to describe what you might want to do in more detail, post back.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Problem with efi partition -- Is there a way to increase the size of the /boot partition?

Post by Cosmo. »

Timeshift snapshots in the /boot partition? Hm, seems to be a very exclusive selection :wink: ; I don't believe this.

The real difficulty in this case is encryption.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:07 pm Timeshift snapshots in the /boot partition? Hm, seems to be a very exclusive selection :wink: ; I don't believe this.

The real difficulty in this case is encryption.
I took it to mean / rather than /boot if you see what I mean.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

gummybeartech wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:35 am Is there a way to increase the size of the /boot partition? These partitions fill up relatively quickly with new kernels, and it would be easier to support users if the partition were much larger. NB: We always use full disk encryption
Yes, boot your install stick and run gparted, but... depending on how much data you have in / there may be a lot to move (assuming your boot partition is at the start of the drive). I've no idea how gparted handles encrypted partitions, don't use it.

Probably the better answer is to regularly do your housekeeping on kernels, keep the current and one previous, delete all others. You can automate kernel clean up in update manager.

Note - some confusion in the title your efi partition is not your /boot partition.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:00 pmNote - some confusion in the title your efi partition is not your /boot partition.
The left half of the title is what is the title of the other topic where they originally made the post. I wasn't sure why they posted there so I left it in the title and added the right half which seemed to be the question in the post when I split the post into a new topic.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”