Linux Mint after 2 days is not able to boot anymore

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CryptoDefcon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint after 2 days is not able to boot anymore

Post by CryptoDefcon »

Hello,

I have installed Linux Mint about two days ago with no issues on my Desktop PC, mainly AMD specs/parts. I installed everything on a separate 4 tb drive from my 1 tb windows drive. But after a day I decided to completely delete windows from that drive and use it for extra space for linux. Everything seemed to be working fine due to me restarting the PC and shutting it down that day.
But today when turning on the PC, my bios stated that there was no bootable image. Which was strange so I messed around with the CSM feature but with no luck. I grabbed a new usb stick and put a live linux mint to see what is going on with the system. I used the sudo efibootmgr command and it only listed my usb drive and none of my local drives. When going into disk partitions I can see everything is still there on those two drives. I then also ran inxi -Fxxxrz command to see if that would help anyone viewing this topic. If anyone can help that would be appreciated :-)

Side Note: I also was needed to use this Kernal due to no display showing on my other two monitors. (5.11.0-46)

Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CryptoDefcon
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint after 2 days is not able to boot anymore

Post by CryptoDefcon »

Update: I think I fixed it, ran boot recover from the live instance and is working now!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux Mint after 2 days is not able to boot anymore

Post by AndyMH »

Best guess - you did an 'erase and install' of mint and you boot UEFI. What has happened is that when mint installed it put grub (the bootloader) in the EFI partition on the windows drive. When you wiped the win drive...

Boot your mint install stick, open a terminal and post the output from sudo parted --list, this will tell us about your drives so we can give you explicit instructions on how to install grub to your mint drive. Read this on how to post terminal output, you don't need to use a remote imaging site.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=364929&p=2119362&h ... l#p2119362
and while you are at it, also post the output from inxi -Fxxxrz, again - easier to read than an image.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Installation & Boot”