[SOLVED] New install keeps reverting to grub screen.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Information Overload
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] New install keeps reverting to grub screen.

Post by Information Overload »

I did a new install on my computer. When I removed the USB to complete the installation it goes to the black grub screen. I did the install 3 times with same result.

Using the instructions from the Ubuntu documentation Grub2/troubleshooting I did manage to boot and install and update the rest of the software but when I log off and start again it comes back to the grub screen. When I command boot it says 'need to load kernel first'.

When I use the live USB and try to do boot repair I get this:

The current session is in BIOS-compatibility mode. Please disable BIOS-compatibility/CSM/Legacy mode in your UEFI firmware, and use this software from a live-CD (or live-USB) that is compatible with UEFI booting mode. For example, use a live-USB of Boot Repair-Disk-64bit (www.sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd), after making sure your BIOS is set up to boot USB in EFI mode. This will enable this feature.

How can I fix this so I can log in normally each time?
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Information Overload
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New install keeps reverting to grub screen.

Supposedly some info here for you from the Boot Repair info. Not sure how that works. Just followed prompts from Boot Repair.
https://paste2.org/
Also will mention that I have gone onto the BIOS and looked at the boot management and as far as I can see it is set up to boot from UEFI mode. So not sure what to do re that.

This might be better. I got the information from the Boot repair log.
https://paste2.org/Z2nC53gf
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

If we're going to try to fix this here, please don't let Boot Repair do anything except generate a report. It's not a bad app, but often stumbles over difficult problems and can be difficult to unwind.

For starters, boot a live session (same thing as you used to install) and post your system information. Notice you can set up an internet connection in a live session and access the Forum that way, using Firefox. Then, still in the live session, run Boot Repair again (report mode only), copy the output and post into your next reply. Unfortunately, the link function isn't working, so we have to do this manually. The report will be very long, so it's essential you enclose it in code tags, i.e., type [code] at the beginning and [/code] at the end. You'll notice the system report uses the same tags.

On the bright side, Grub issues almost always are fixable. We just have to figure out where the installer is going sideways.
Information Overload
Level 1
Level 1

I'd love to do a live session but think I screwed up. While I was waiting, always dangerous, I did another couple of installs hoping for a proper install. But I also went onto the BIOS to see about that message above. To check again. There was an extra Ubuntu entry.
The current session is in BIOS-compatibility mode. Please disable BIOS-compatibility/CSM/Legacy mode in your UEFI firmware, and use this software from a live-CD (or live-USB) that is compatible with UEFI booting mode. For example, use a live-USB of Boot Repair-Disk-64bit (www.sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd), after making sure your BIOS is set up to boot USB in EFI mode. This will enable this feature.
The boot sequence was in this order and nothing in legacy mode which is disabled. Though the USB and DVD/CD boot options are there.
Ubuntu
Ubuntu
Ubuntu
Ubuntu
UEFI INT13 (something I can't remember)
UEFI INT13 (soething I can't remember)
I deleted the Ubuntu entries as I thought they were causing the problem. And I thought with a new install it could be put in the correct place. But now I can't even get anything. I get the compter (Dell) screen with model number and info and the loading bar has gone to the end but it just hangs there. It is the same if I just start it up and do nothing or if I click the F12 button to load the Boot options. I get nowhere from this screen. Which is a change from the grub screen previously. But in a bad way I am sure.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

I've no experience with Dell computers, so can't help with its firmware settings. If you do an internet search for your particular model, you should be able to find several articles, blog posts, etc. where someone has dealt with a similar problem.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I'd love to do a live session but think I screwed up.
I would expect booting to a USB to be possible even with these bios modifications you did. Go into the bios boot menu section and select the USB drive that is plugged in.
Information Overload
Level 1
Level 1

Problem solved. I got someone to get me back my bios and extra memory at the same time. I then reformatted my USB with the latest Vanessa and was able to install without any further problems. Though it does take quite a long time. But that's another issue. This one is solved. Thank you all!

Return to “Installation & Boot”