Can't run Live Session - What the solution could be?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ziemowitt

Can't run Live Session - What the solution could be?

Post by ziemowitt »

Hi Everybody,

I have problem with running Live Session of >>Mint 8<< so that I can't install Mint on my computer.
When I boot from CD the Mint logo appears for some time and what can I see is only some errors ("can't read something....") filling all screen.

I GParted before my HDD and besides XP I created ext3 twice (20GB and 200GB) and 2048MB SWAP.

Could you please try to help me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rich_roast

Re: Can't run Live Session - What the solution could be?

Post by rich_roast »

ziemowitt wrote: I see is only some errors ("can't read something....") filling all screen.
This is a bit like those pa systems in airports and train systems where the speaker says "The following is super important" and then the rest echoes around as garbled much in the building such that the important message is lost.

Failing knowing what specifically can't be read, perhaps the best first step in diagnosis is to check the integrity of the install media, following instructions from the User Guide if necessary.
gn2

Post by gn2 »

What CPU and what GPU do you have and how much RAM is installed ?
ziemowitt

Post by ziemowitt »

Sorry for not being precise.
I have MSI U100 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom, 2GB RAM

You could see on screen many, many lines of some blur informations like:

[ 131.033.279} SQUASHFS error: unable to read fragment cache entry

or

[ 131.033.279} end-request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 896880 (or different numbers)

I created once more similar partitions like before and OS is installed already... i have no idea why it couldnt occur before... I defragmentated resized partition each time before using GParted.

Some conclusions, Falles?

Thanks.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Hi, sorry about the delay: this reads to me very much like bad media. Did you manage to run the integrity tests as mentioned before?
RavanH

Post by RavanH »

Code: Select all

SQUASHFS error: unable to read ...

or

end-request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector ... 
Sadly, I am running into those same errors when trying to start the Mint 8 (32bit) Live CD on two different laptops. On a third one, there is no problem. I also checked CD integrity and MD5 checksum. No problems reported but still the CD will not start in normal mode nor in compatibility mode nor even in OEM install mode :(

What's going wrong here ??

--allard
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

you could try cleaning the lenses of the cd units with compressed air.
RavanH

Post by RavanH »

Leppie wrote:you could try cleaning the lenses of the cd units with compressed air.
Thanks for responding so fast!

I tried cleaning lenses of both laptops but no difference. Besides, the errors always start at the exact same point during the boot process... (goes to fast to see exactly what it says just before :( )

I also noticed an I/O error saying

line 23: can't create /root/etc/hostname

which sounds to me like it cannot read/write to the hard disk too...

And errors like

Add. Sense : illegal mode for this track
which make no 'Sense' to me at all ;)
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

RavanH wrote:Thanks for responding so fast!
you're welcome, i was just in the neighborhood ;)
RavanH wrote:I tried cleaning lenses of both laptops but no difference. Besides, the errors always start at the exact same point during the boot process... (goes to fast to see exactly what it says just before :( )

I also noticed an I/O error saying

line 23: can't create /root/etc/hostname

which sounds to me like it cannot read/write to the hard disk too...
did you do a memory check as well? linux kernels are very picky with memory and if bad memory is installed will generate many errors.
the livecds create a ramfs (kind of like a swap file in memory), so usually doesn't use the hard drive unless there already is a linux swap partition present on the drive.
RavanH wrote:And errors like

Add. Sense : illegal mode for this track
which make no 'Sense' to me at all ;)
to be honest, i've never seen this kind of error before...
RavanH

Post by RavanH »

Leppie wrote:did you do a memory check as well? linux kernels are very picky with memory and if bad memory is installed will generate many errors.
the livecds create a ramfs (kind of like a swap file in memory), so usually doesn't use the hard drive unless there already is a linux swap partition present on the drive.
On one of the two laptops has 768Mb memory and I did a memory check and let it run for a loooong time. Came up with no errors what-so-ever. However, there IS a linux swap partition on the drive. Would that mean the swap partition is being used but the live CD boot process and somehow there is an I/O problem occurring there?

The other laptop has much less memory: 256Mb (even less because some of it is taken for video). I do not have it with me right now and did no memory test on it. There are no linux partitions on it (yet ;) )... Maybe if I pre-partition the drive with a Gparted Live CD first?
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

RavanH wrote:On one of the two laptops has 768Mb memory and I did a memory check and let it run for a loooong time. Came up with no errors what-so-ever. However, there IS a linux swap partition on the drive. Would that mean the swap partition is being used but the live CD boot process and somehow there is an I/O problem occurring there?
this might very well be the cause of the issue. try checking the swap partition for errors
RavanH wrote:The other laptop has much less memory: 256Mb (even less because some of it is taken for video). I do not have it with me right now and did no memory test on it. There are no linux partitions on it (yet ;) )... Maybe if I pre-partition the drive with a Gparted Live CD first?
the livecd requirements are set to 512mb of ram if i'm not mistaken... in any case, i'm sure that less than 256mb is not enough. maybe the xfce version could run on this machine. http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=43
RavanH

Post by RavanH »

Leppie wrote:this might very well be the cause of the issue. try checking the swap partition for errors
I did a check folowing these steps (I found via Google) in Xubuntu:

sudo swapoff /dev/sda6
sudo mke2fs -c /dev/sda6
The test showed no bad blocks so I remounted the swap with these steps (to be complete for anyone who reads this and wants to do the same):

sudo mkswap /dev/sda6
sudo swapon /dev/sda6
Leppie wrote:the livecd requirements are set to 512mb of ram if i'm not mistaken... in any case, i'm sure that less than 256mb is not enough. maybe the xfce version could run on this machine. http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=43
I know, there is definitely more mem needed there (will come) but as I understand from the Karmic requirements, I should be able to run at least the OEM installation process. Or is that not similar to the alternative installation method in Ubuntu?
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

RavanH wrote:I know, there is definitely more mem needed there (will come) but as I understand from the Karmic requirements, I should be able to run at least the OEM installation process. Or is that not similar to the alternative installation method in Ubuntu?
AFAIK the ubuntu karmic alternate installation requires at least 256mb of ram...
RavanH

Post by RavanH »

Leppie wrote:AFAIK the ubuntu karmic alternate installation requires at least 256mb of ram...
I realize, it would not even run nicely if it could be installed on such small memory. It will be extended soon. But I fear the errors will remain, just as they do on the second laptop with enough memory and no HD problems... I used the Live CD to install on a third laptop without problems so the disk seems perfectly in order.

Any ideas left about why these errors occur?
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

RavanH wrote:I realize, it would not even run nicely if it could be installed on such small memory. It will be extended soon. But I fear the errors will remain, just as they do on the second laptop with enough memory and no HD problems...
difficult to say like this, maybe this laptop does have a defective optical drive...
RavanH wrote:I used the Live CD to install on a third laptop without problems so the disk seems perfectly in order.
only the md5sums and error checks would be an indication of non faulty disk
RavanH

Post by RavanH »

Leppie wrote:difficult to say like this, maybe this laptop does have a defective optical drive...
Have had no problems with it before. Every other CD-ROM/R/R-W is read without any errors.
Leppie wrote:only the md5sums and error checks would be an indication of non faulty disk
Like I wrote before, I did both checks the first time I ran into the problem. The error check could only performed on another PC because even the integrity check routine could not be started on both of the laptops in question...

I'm lost :(

Think I'm going to give up on Mint flavour and stick with my regular cup of Ubuntu. Thanks for your help anyway :)
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

RavanH wrote:Like I wrote before, I did both checks the first time I ran into the problem. The error check could only performed on another PC because even the integrity check routine could not be started on both of the laptops in question...
it could be either the disk or the drive. if you're sure it's not the drive, then you might want to try burning the image at a lower speed. especially older equipment doesn't like disks burned at speeds higher than 10x. here the drives calibration also plays a role.
and if you're 100% sure it's not the disk, then it's the drives that are faulty.
RavanH

Post by RavanH »

Leppie wrote:it could be either the disk or the drive. if you're sure it's not the drive, then you might want to try burning the image at a lower speed. especially older equipment doesn't like disks burned at speeds higher than 10x. here the drives calibration also plays a role.
and if you're 100% sure it's not the disk, then it's the drives that are faulty.
Thanks Leppie, I 'll give it one more try with a fresh but slow baked disk and will report back...
RavanH

Post by RavanH »

Leppie wrote:it could be either the disk or the drive. if you're sure it's not the drive, then you might want to try burning the image at a lower speed. especially older equipment doesn't like disks burned at speeds higher than 10x. here the drives calibration also plays a role.
Thanks Leppie, you where right: Burning the ISO a second time at slow speed did not do the trick at first, but th errors where different so that made me give it another go and... After baking the ISO to disk the third time but now on other brand CD-R, it worked!

Real frustrating these error prone cheap CD's :roll: but now finally I get to explore Mint ! :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”