Force Linux Mint 21 to install in LEGACY MODE

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SHESH
Level 1
Level 1

Force Linux Mint 21 to install in LEGACY MODE

Post by SHESH »

Hi folk,

I ran into a problem with clean installing the new Mint 21.
My Notebook (HP Probook 6470b) has two physical hard drives, for Windows 7 and Linux and both are booted seperately via BIOS in Legacy mode at startup (instead of GRUB).
So, the second drive must be installed with an OS in Legacy mode only. UEFI mode is disabled in BIOS.

Problem is: when I boot into the live USB, it always installs Mint in UEFI mode, even if I try manual partitioning. While manual partitioning it says "no EFI System Partition was found".
And after installing Mint in UEFI mode, the drive doesnt recognize any OS on it with an error message. It only boots if I enable UEFI in BIOS.

The question is now, how do I force the Mint Installer to install in LEGACY MODE???
The USB stick was made with rufus in MBR mode and also booted in Legacy mode.

Greets
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Force Linux Mint 21 to install in LEGACY MODE

Post by pbear »

It's a known bug, inherited by Mint from Ubuntu. If you boot in legacy mode and use the default erase-and-install method, you will get a superfluous EFI partition, but the installed system will boot in legacy mode, i.e., both boot loaders are being installed. Alternatively, you can use manual partitioning. When you get the warning about no-EFI-partition, click Continue. The installation will complete and the installed system will boot fine.

ETA: If option one doesn't work, that's a firmware problem. The solution is to reinstall using manual partitioning and the Something Else method.
Last edited by pbear on Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Check out this thread: (LM20 - legacy erase & install issues) viewtopic.php?f=46&t=326270
You will find how to solve it in that thread. 8)
Good Luck with the install of Mint21
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you should select Legacy Boot from your BIOS using F12 / F9 or similar to do that.

once you are using Legacy Mode, then you can use the Gparted program,
to Delete any existing partitions, and then create an maximum of Four Primary Partitions,
- on which to point the LinuxMint Installer onto for it's Installation to proceed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Please, folks. It's a simple problem, easily solved. Let's not make this sound more complicated than it is.

That said, yes, anyone interested in the back story of the bug probably will find the thread Marie links worth reading.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

In appearance you are doing things well. Booting live on BIOS mode if there is no EFI/ESP partition on any disk, installing on a previously formatted MBR disk with Something else.. option, as pbear say, that warning should be omited and Linux Mint system is expected to be installed on BIOS legacy mode.

You can be sure any way. Once you boot Linux Mint live or installed system run following codes on a terminal (copy and paste one line each time and press enter), and post back result using </> Codes option on forum editor as indicated here..

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxz
sudo fdisk -l
sudo efibootmgr -v
if booting installed system also post back

Code: Select all

cat /etc/fstab
ls /boot/efi/EFI
result.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
SHESH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SHESH »

Thanks for your fast replies!

Manual partitioning is not a solution as I dont know how to do it properly with LVM encryption.
I tried the 20.3 installer and it worked fine, installed the distro in Legacy mode. So Im gonna wait until I can upgrade to Mint 21 without clean installing it.

Hopefully it wont create an EFI partition while upgrading. :P
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

SHESH wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:58 am Manual partitioning is not a solution as I dont know how to do it properly with LVM encryption.
No, it is not . It is just a different option when installing. LVM with encryption option is something you would need to say from the beginning and also in subject. :wink:
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Right, LVM and encryption is going to be a more difficult problem. Multi-boot encryption? Oh my.
fahad64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fahad64 »

pawelnrg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pawelnrg »

same problem HP8770w
fahad64
Not. 20.3 not make that problem. install and start OK.
pbear wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:48 am Right, LVM and encryption is going to be a more difficult problem. Multi-boot encryption? Oh my.
single bot encryption. He decide on BIOS with drive use to boot. 20.3 not make that problem. Question is how to force 21 to install same way like 20.3.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod>
iconoclast's report has been turned into a separate thread, to be found over there: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=388926
</mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Installation & Boot”